<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, January 26, 2004

The "lost" post for January 24, 2004.... 

Unexpected sleep aid...

....I'm rather suprised by this. For years, people have been telling me I should find a way to darken the room I sleep in since most of the hours I'm snoozing occur during the day (my usual sleep time is 3am to noon or 1pm). I always thought I was doing fine as long as I could get to sleep initially. Well, I got a gift certificate for Christmas to one of those upscale "toy" shops and bought, believe it or not, a Tempur-pedic eye pillow. You know, like what you used to see the stars wear in the movies? It has a velour cover and blocks out all the light around your eyes. I got it because it looked comfy and thought it might help my eyes not dry out so much at night.

Gave it a try the first night and noticed something...I had developed a bad habit of waking up and checking the clock several times a night. Can't do that if you can't even tell whether it's light out or not. Another bonus....when I did wake up, because it appeared to be dark, it fooled my brain into thinking it must be way too early to get up, and I was able to fall asleep again much easier. Cool! Maybe the movie stars weren't just trying to be glamorous.

Went to another consignment store today...this one accepted clothes in sizes 12 and up, but only by appointment, and only by SEASON. We don't HAVE seasons in Colorado! Today it was 60 degrees outside, and it snows in May! I thought most people just checked the forecast and put on something long-sleeved when it was cold and something short-sleeved when it was hot. Can you tell I don't follow fashion too well? I'm supposed to tell them when making the appointment how many items I have for a certain season. Right now it's too late for winter stuff and too early for spring. I'm going to try one more consignment place this weekend before I decide what to do with my stuff. I don't remember it being this complicated before....after my mom died seven years ago, I placed her good clothes on consignment. The shop I went to took practically everything. Of course, my mom had much better taste in clothing than I.

Speaking of my mom, January 24 would have been her 61st birthday. I'll stop by the cemetery to "visit" her.

Pain level: 6
Fatigue level: 9

Rave of the Day: How about an awesome poem by Maya Angelou? Seems appropriate somehow...

Phenomenal Woman

Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I'm telling lies.
I say,
It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

I walk into a room
Just as cool as you please,
And to a man,
The fellows stand or
Fall down on their knees.
Then they swarm around me,
A hive of honey bees.
I say,
It's the fire in my eyes,
And the flash of my teeth,
The swing in my waist,
And the joy in my feet.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Men themselves have wondered
What they see in me.
They try so much
But they can't touch
My inner mystery.
When I try to show them
They say they still can't see.
I say,
It's in the arch of my back,
The sun of my smile,
The ride of my breasts,
The grace of my style.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Now you understand
Just why my head's not bowed.
I don't shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud.
When you see me passing
It ought to make you proud.
I say,
It's in the click of my heels,
The bend of my hair,
The palm of my hand,
The need of my care.
'Cause I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?