<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, January 26, 2004

The "lost" post from January 20, 2004... 

Rudeness in parking lots....

I went to my aquacise class today at the rehab center. I was fortunate enough to find three consecutive spaces open, a real rarity there, so I parked in the middle one. It's easier for me to get out and get my stuff that way. When I got out, this massive Yukon XL was parked on the driver's side of my car. It was over the line partly in my space, and worse, parked crooked with the tires turned. There was less than a foot between that vehicle and my little car, whereas the driver's side of the Yukon had plenty of space for the driver to get out. Now, I am not in bad enough shape to require a handicapped sticker, but I DO need enough room to open my door adequately and ease myself into the driver's seat. My joints don't bend easily, and I already knew from past experience there was no way I could get in the car on the passenger side and climb over the console....I tried that once, got stuck and hurt myself. I won't repeat here the expletives that passed my lips after I assessed the situation.

So there was little I could do except squeeze slowly and carefully into my car, which was a painful experience. I was tempted to smack the Yukon with my door but knew that wouldn't solve anything. I wanted to leave a nasty note on the windshield but managed to resist that temptation too. Why do people park without consideration for the others in the lot? Whenever I park, I check the position of my car...if it's too close to another and I have room to move, I do so. Maybe I'm more careful because I'm aware how uncomfortable tight spaces are for some. Do the rude people not care if anyone else has access to their vehicle? Do they not think, or do they believe they are the center of the universe?

As I drove out, I noticed how much wider the handicapped spaces are than the ones I park in. I know this is because you have to have room for a wheelchair. I would feel guilty asking for a handicapped spot for myself....I am stiff and slow, but still able-bodied. I require no cane, walker or wheelchair. Should I just quit my grumbling and be grateful I can still walk to the far end of the parking lot?

Pain level: 8
Fatigue level: 7

Rave of the Day: ScribNik has been contributing little gems regularly to Fibrohugs. Here's what she posted this past weekend....

Giggles:

Reality is for people who lack imagination.

I took a pain pill...why are you still here?

My blood type is coffee.

If you don't care where you are, you aren't lost.

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

I haven't lost my mind...it's backed up on disk somewhere.

Inspirations:

What you do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it...Johan Wolfgang von Goethe

We need to begin treating ourselves as well as we treat other people. That would be an enormous revolution...Gloria Steinem

We must concentrate on what we can do, and erase "can't," "won't," and "don't think so" from our vocabulary...Cardiss Collins

To see others, you must only watch. To see yourself, you must look...Chinese proverb

Thoughts have power. Thoughts have energy. And you can make or break your world by your thinking...Susan L. Taylor

There are hazards in anything one does, but there are greater hazards in doing nothing...Shirley Williams

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?