<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, February 15, 2004

Adventures in food tolerance.... 

For about a month now, I've been free of the constant stomach pain that had plagued me for six straight years. I attribute this more to being gluten-free than to avoidance of difficult-to-digest foods. I decided to test this theory a bit by adding a few "forbidden" foods that, while gluten-free, can be rough on the tummy.

Went to the movie theatre yesterday, and since it was Valentine's Day, what did I crave more than anything in the world? Chocolate, of course. I've almost completely gone without it aside from a Junior Mint or two since mid-November, and I was getting very cranky about it. I finally caved in and bought something I knew to be gluten-free...a 3 Musketeers bar. I ate it very slowly over the course of the movie and drank plenty of water. It didn't seem to bother my stomach at all....AND since I'd waited so long for one, it was the best I'd ever tasted.

Then today was the serious tummy test....a small lean grilled steak. The gastroenterologist had told me I'd never be able to tolerate red meat again. Guess what? I was fine.

This is not to say that I'm going to be eating these foods on a regular basis....doing so would no doubt be too stressful on the body. BUT a lean steak once every month or so sure would make me less cranky. And I'm going to start a Valentine's Day tradition of a gluten-free candy bar. One day a year will not kill me.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?