<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, March 25, 2004

Crash and burned out... 

This did not come without warning. I have been tapering off of prednisone since November and am down to a 2mg dose. The primary care doc had expressed concern that even with the slow taper I could crash hard. She was right.

Today, I was only out of bed for half an hour when I got very weak, fairly dizzy and even a bit disoriented. I tried doing what I usually do when I feel like crap...just go on about my business. I started some stretches to get the blood flowing and maybe perk me up a bit, but I experienced vertigo even lying on the floor, so I had to stop. I tried eating something but only felt better for maybe an hour afterward. I had no choice but to call in sick to work as I felt ill enough to faint (even though I never do actually pass out).

I'm 99 percent sure this is the result of weaning off the prednisone as I have felt this way in less severe form with every decrease in dose since I hit 5mg a month ago. Also, this very closely resembles how I was back when I had a confirmed adrenal insufficiency. But it still sucks.

In addition to the weak and wobbly, I can't think my way out of a paper bag, and I am EXTEMELY sad. It's the chemical kind of sad, not the kind derived by circumstances, if that makes any sense. I would normally be pretty cheerful because my pain level is down to a 5 out of 10, I just had a nice birthday, and the weather has been wonderful. But I feel so bleak.

I know this will pass, but I'm having a hard time seeing my way around it right now.

Pain level: 5
Fatigue level: 9

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?