<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, March 27, 2004

Somewhat odd evening.... 

Tonight Dan and I had tix to see Brett Butler at the comedy club downtown. We had trouble finding the underground parking garage we were going to use (the directions to it were wrong), so we chose a nearby street level lot that cost over twice as much. I just wasn't up to a long walk....I wanted to save my energy for standing in line.

We ended up sitting in the front row...I was no more than five feet from the microphone. The two opening acts were good, local guys in fact, but someone in the audience chose to heckle them. This person said something racist, which is not a common problem where I live. The guy on stage handled it very well I thought. The opening acts had to stall a bit....they said Brett Butler was having throat problems.

They weren't kidding. The poor woman had almost complete laryngitis! She went onstage anyway with a bottle of Chloraseptic. The wait staff tried to help her out by bringing her herbal tea and ice water to sip on. Then, no more than five minutes into her act, the person who had caused a disturbance before started drowning her out by making barking noises! The show had to be stopped while the heckler was thrown out.

Brett Butler was still very funny. Her character portrait of the criminals on the show "Cops" was hysterical! But after about half an hour, her voice gave out completely, and she had to go offstage. There were supposed to be two more shows after ours tonight, so I'm not sure what happened there. The staff at the comedy club gave us all free passes for a future show, which was pretty cool. I will try to catch her the next time she is in town.

We walked back to the car and discovered that the owners of the lot had double parked cars everywhere! They obviously weren't expecting the show to be cut short. Several people including us couldn't get out. We were blocked in our space by a huge SUV. Even after someone moved it, we could barely squeeze our way out with only an inch or two to spare. Of course, after we got back onto the street, I found the garage where we had intended to park. Oh, well, now I know where to go the next time we visit the comedy club.

Probably just as well the evening ended early....I am exhausted even though I got nine hours of sleep. Well, like Scarlett O'Hara says, tomorrow is another day!

Time to change clothes and figure out where I left my glass of tea.

Pain level: 5
Fatigue level: 8

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?