<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, March 07, 2004

Temporary insanity? 

Lots of stupid politics going on, both with my employer and my union. My employer has umpteen managers giving us umpteen different instructions, and they want to lay off eight more workers when we still haven't resolved the suit over the 10 who were laid off last year. My union has a couple of members upset over the outcome of an election from A YEAR AGO, and they pick fights no matter what the issue is. Dan and I are on the executive committee of the union, which means we help make decisions on whether someone was wrongly fired or whether someone is violating union policy. A disgruntled co-worker decided the union president was violating our by-laws, so the executive committe was asked to rule on it. We decided the by-laws are too vague in several areas including the one in question, and they need to be updated. Today, the committee came up with new wording for the section causing the controversy, with the recommendation that a new committee be formed to update all the by-laws. Sounds complicated, doesn't it? Wait, it gets better.

At the union meeting that immediately followed the exec committee decision, they asked for three volunteers for re-writing the by-laws. One was the ex-wife of the president, and another was the disgruntled guy who wants to oust the president. No one else wanted to do it. I've been a member for nine years, long enough to know that leaving the job to these two people would cause more problems than it would solve. So I verrrrrry reluctantly held up my hand. Sigh.

So now who's crazy, them or me? I barely have the energy to work, much less be on two committees. And I know I'm in for endless hours of arguing with the disgruntled guy. But I also know the other two people aren't particularly good writers and could make a bad situation worse without someone fairly literate to help them.

Hmmmm....the more I think about it, the more sure I am that I'm the nutty one...

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?