<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, June 11, 2004

Latest but not greatest news.... 

I've wanted to update here for awhile, but I'm extra busy with Dan not being here (he's in South Dakota visiting family and friends until Sunday). Also, physical circumstances have prevented me spending much time on the computer at home. So I will attempt to catch up, as briefly as I can, anyway.

Monday night while driving home from work, my arms from the elbows down, my legs from the knees down, my hands and my feet all went numb at the same time. Not complete numbness...I could still tell where my foot was on the accelerator, but the kind of tingly numbness you get when your foot is waking up after having been asleep for awhile. I've had neuropathy-type symptoms for years now, but they were usually brief, random and in only one body part at a time. This was a new experience altogether. It lasted until I woke up the next day, then started slowly creeping back in over the course of the day. It has been doing this off and on ever since.

So I called the rheumatologist's office and asked what to do. He wanted me to see a neurologist. The one he recommended is the same woman I went to five years ago and didn't like. I didn't have a diagnosis at that time, and I think we were both frustrated that she couldn't pinpoint the cause. I'm giving her another chance, though, since knowing about the Sjogren's will probably make things easier. I do have the name and addy of a co-worker's neurologist just in case I still don't get along with this one.

I've got an "emergency" appointment on June 22. I'm also on standby in case there are any cancellations between now and then. The receptionist is not the same one as when I was a patient five years ago....this lady is really pleasant and helpful, whereas the last one was quite rude. I'm taking this as a good sign.

Right now, the fronts of my calves are burning, the right foot is a bit numb, and the other foot and both hands are tingling. Ew.

It has become impossible to hide this problem at work because it is quite painful. Some of the pains are quite sharp and have me practically in tears. I hate to say it, but it is clear to me that working aggravates it. I will wait for the neurologist's opinion, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to mentally prepare for the possibility that I may have to go on leave. I have soooo many things hampering my ability to work....this could be the last straw.

Dan called yesterday, and I had to tell him about this. I didn't want to, because I didn't want him to worry about me, but I knew if I waited until he got home and he saw how bad I was, he'd be angry for not saying anything. Poor Dan....I hate that I have to be so sick, for both our sakes.

Pain level: 7
Fatigue level: 7

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?