<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, July 23, 2004

Flash flood, day 2.... 

Ok, the hail and flooding at my house yesterday finally subsided (and melted) last night. Today was a new day..

Had to go downtown (20 miles away) to pick up my MRIs so I can give them to my neurologist next week. When I got on the highway, I noticed a suspicious-looking black cloud to the northwest and vaguely wondered if I was gonna experience a repeat of yesterday. I decided it was unlikely to have that happen two days in a row.

The rain began as I pulled up to the imaging place. I had to be careful to keep the scans dry as I took them back to my car. As I pulled out of the lot, the drops got bigger, and I had the feeling I was really gonna be in for it.

Sure enough, when I got onto the highway, I was slammed with torrents of rain and a huge crosswind. Even with the wipers on high, I could not see a thing. I stayed in the middle lane because I knew the outer lanes were prone to flooding.

Within minutes, the shoulders of the highway were crammed with vehicles that had pulled over.....every single one of them was an SUV. I stayed in my little car, following slowly behind the little car ahead of me. Sometimes we would have to come to a complete stop because there simply was no visibilty.

I have anti-lock brakes and traction control....both were put to the test as even the center lanes of the highway flooded. I plodded slowly along, thinking that surely the rain would let up any minute. We simply don't get much rain in my area.

An HOUR later, I floated up to my house to the safety of my garage. My hands and right foot ached from my efforts to control the car when it was hydroplaning. But I'm safe and dry, and that's all that matters.

So for the second day in a row, my back yard is under water. What a weird sight considering my city is on water rationing for a drought. The dog doesn't quite know what to make of it either.

Pain level: 8
Fatigue level: 9

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?