<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Ack! Cavities! 

Went to the dentist for my usual six-month checkup. Had been really proud of myself for managing to avoid the tooth decay that some say is inevitable with Sjogren's patients. But I've recently had horrible mouth sores, sensitive gums and occasional tooth pain, so I should have known my lucky streak was over.

The dentist remarked that while I'm doing an excellent job of keeping my teeth clean, they are beginning to decay around my old fillings. I need to have two teeth filled right away (next week). I was told that eventually, I will need to put crowns on these teeth as well as the others that were filled when I was a teenager, plus one tooth that is cracked....a total of eight teeth.

I'm frustrated....I've been trying everything I know to preserve my teeth: special toothpaste, special mouthwash, anti-cavity gum when I can't brush, dental floss and a water pik. I still can't stave off damage from the Sjogren's and lousy genetics. I'm the only one in my family who has passed the age of 30 without a root canal.

I'm going to try home fluoride treatments in the hope that I won't develop further damage, but I'm not feeling terribly confident right now. My neck aches terribly just from today's cleaning....the fibromyalgia just won't tolerate being tilted back in that awful chair for very long. I'll be back for the fillings next week on Monday and Wednesday....only the second time I've had to have a tooth filled since I was 16 years old.

It would be really cool if I could just have a nice boring week with no new health problems. Sigh.

Pain level: 7
Fatigue level: 7

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?