<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Endocrinologist's verdict... 

Turns out I'm not 100 percent diabetic....yet. But the levels were far enough out of range that I soon will be without intervention. The first reading, the fasting level, was normal, but the second reading was about 185 when it should be less than 140, and it didn't go down much after that.

Problem is, I am already exercising at maximum capacity due to the fibro and other medical conditions, and my diet is very good considering I have gluten intolerance and gastroparesis. And I'm not overweight. So I am to take a small dose of a diabetes med to help stabilize the blood sugar levels.

I will also get nutritional counselling at the local diabetes center so I can learn how to calculate the proper amounts of fat, carbs, protein and sugar. The doc said I probably won't have to change my eating very much at all, but just refine what I'm already doing. They should also be able to help me balance the dietary needs of my two digestive disorders.

I asked how I ended up with such high glucose levels despite a healthy lifestyle. She said that if you have a parent with type 2 diabetes, you have a FIFTY percent chance of developing it. AND if you have one or more autoimmune diseases already, the chance of getting it goes up even more.

She reassured me that had I not taken care of myself as well as I have, I would have ended up with full-blown type 2 diabetes in my 30's or even my 20's. She actually said I did really well with all my health problems to make it to age 40 without geting past the insulin resistance stage. So I didn't mess up like I thought I did.

For now, no daily glucose monitoring unless I have trouble stabilizing my levels with the prescribed treatment. That is a huge relief. But she did emphasize that I must take this seriously while it is still easily manageable.

Pain level: 9
Fatigue level: 9

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?