<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

On medical leave again.... 

Went to my regular rheumatologist today. Hadn't seen him for three months, during which a LOT has happened. Took quite a bit of time just going over all the new stuff. He had gotten some of the info from the other docs, but the glucose test results were a surprise to him.

I asked him if I should take some time off in order for me to allow time for my new diabetes program, the new med for periodic limb movement disorder, and the lymph node mystery to all be dealt with. He agreed. I was going to ask for two weeks, and he surprised me by saying six.

He looked at the lymph nodes, and like the "second opinion" rheumatologist, thought they were suspicious. He was pretty adamant that I get a biopsy. He said in the absence of a very obvious cause like an infection it really should be examined.

After my allergy shot, I went to the ENT's office. The doc checked my neck and saw that the right side nodes were getting enlarged like the left, so he agreed to do a biopsy. He checked which nodes would be a good candidate and found two possibilities....one is between the carotid and the voice box and is by far the most swollen, and the other is toward the back and has two hard lumps in it.

This won't be a simple needle aspiration like the thyroid biopsy was. This will require general anaesthesia and stitches. I've had sinus surgery and my lip biopsy with this doc, and I trust him.

I need to go off all anti-inflammatories and Vitamin E, fish oil, etc. for at least a week before they can do anything because they don't want the increased risk of bleeding. So I am scheduled for February 14. I promised Dan we'd celebrate Valentine's Day the weekend before.

I am utterly wiped out, and must admit I am relieved to not have to go into work. It's always a little scary, though, monetarily I mean. But I'm pretty sure I was making myself sicker by pushing myself beyond my limits just to bring home a paycheck.

So I might get to spend more time here! I will also be able to nap after aquacise as needed. And spend quality time with Chip, the world's most spoiled English springer spaniel.

But right now, the couch is calling, and I plan to answer.

Pain level: 8
Fatigue level: 9

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?