<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, February 05, 2005

Rave of the Day for February 5: 

Finally watched the extended release of "Return of the King" on DVD this week. Awesome doesn't even begin to describe it. About 50 minutes of new material, including 15 brand new scenes and 24 extended scenes, bringing the final running time to 4 hours and 10 minutes.

Some of the scenes I wish they'd been able to include in the theatrical release as they provide answers to a few plot gaps. A lot of Eowyn's scenes were cut out, such as how she ended up with Faramir. But I know they were under time restraints as it was. Only one scene can I honestly say did not deserve to make the final cut. I like how Frodo and Sam were mistaken for orcs and were forced to march with the orc army, but I felt their getaway was a little too convenient.

And as with "Fellowship of the Ring" and "The Two Towers", I watched the movie a second time with the directors' commentary over it. Peter Jackson and the two ladies who helped him write and direct are hilarious! And they explain why they deviated from the book in some places, what in the film is real and what is computer generated, uncredited cameos, etc. For instance, Tolkien's great grandson appears ever so briefly.

I want to get a copy of the song that plays over the end credits, "Into the West", by Annie Lennox. So beautiful and so haunting. Perfect to close the trilogy.

And just like when I read the book the first time, I am almost sad that there is no more.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?