<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, May 26, 2005

What healthy people need to know.... 

Sometimes you never know where the internet will take you. I was perusing my copy of "The Fibromyalgia Advocate" a few days ago and decided it would be cool to send the other people in my chronic illness support group a copy of something I found in the book: a letter explaining to the healthy world what they need to know about how it is to be disabled by illness. There was a website listed after the letter, and, after a Google search or two, I found not only the author of that letter, but a great website as well.

Not Done Living was created by Ricky Buchanan. She lives in Australia and has a severe case of what we here in the US call chronic fatigue immune deficiency syndrome (CFIDS). She continues to journal and add to her site despite being bedridden much of the time. She does a great job educating as well as entertaining. I've been reading her impressive collection of quotes and have visited the sites of a few of her friends who also have CFIDS. If ever you wonder just how extensively this ailment can debilitate you, just read their descriptions of a typical day for them. I feel relatively unaffected by fibromyalgia in comparison.

Here is a link to the letter:

An Open Letter to Those Without Invisible Disability or Chronic Illness

Please also take a little time to check out some of the other pages on the site. I love reading personal websites and wish I could dedicate more time to it. There are some very talented people whom we would never otherwise know had they not created a site.

I am listing Ricky's site in my permanent links column (upper right of this page). Enjoy.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?