<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, June 24, 2005

The "Hit" list, week four.... 

"Hit Me Baby One More Time" was on tonight. Found out to my surprise that the viewing audience picked Howard Jones last week, so not everyone agrees with the studio crowd. Tonight was interesting.

Greg Kihn was on, and I was looking forward to seeing him since I liked his music the best. But he proved to be the biggest disappointment. He did "The Breakup Song", and he was horrible! So far off key that it sounded like he was doing a cover of his own song! Then he did Green Day's "Boulevard of Broken Dreams". I give him points for enthusiasm and taste, but I just couldn't get past the fact that he couldn't sing.

Club Nouveau did their only hit, which was a cover of Bill Withers' "Lean On Me". I always hated their version of this song, especially the "we be jammin'" part. At least they refrained from that shit tonight and did a passable version. They also did Dido's "Thank You", which I actually liked better. So I'll give them good but not great.

Glass Tiger was a pleasant surprise. The band was right on, the singer was in great voice, and they really seemed to be enjoying themselves. Their hit was "Don't Forget Me When I'm Gone", and they did an impressive job on it. For their cover, they chose Vertical Horizon's "Everything You Want". It wasn't bad, but for some reason they seemed to be lacking something on this one and didn't quite sell me on it. Good effort though.

Billy Vera sounds great! He did the best original hit of the night with "At This Moment". Sincere and moving. Now to be fair, I'd never heard of the cover he chose, which was "True" by someone named Ryan Cabrera (?). I gave him points on doing part of it in Spanish, but overall, I just didn't like the song that much. If he'd chosen something else, I probably would have declared him the winner because he was definitely the most talented one tonight.

Thelma Houston's biggest hit was nearly 30 years ago, and a disco song to boot, so she was definitely a blast from the past. And isn't she Whitney Houston's mom? But "Don't Leave Me This Way" is a great song, disco or otherwise, and she still does it well. She picked the perfect cover for her style: Alicia Keys' "Falling". She captured the mood of the lyrics much better than anyone else on the show. I picked her as the winner, and about passed out when the studio audience agreed with me! I guess miracles still do happen.

"I walk a lonely road, the only one that I have ever known"........

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?