<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Hit me baby one last time..... 

Yep, there were only five shows. Bummer. I thought of all kinds of artists it would have been fun to see again.

Gotta say from the outset that no one was outstanding tonight. Made it harder to decide on a clear winner. And again there were surprises.

First up was Juice Newton. She did "Queen of Hearts". She sang it reasonably well, looked relaxed and professional. She is still physically fit, and has cut off her hair and wears it blonde and spiky, which is actually a very good look for her. So I had nothing against her, but she wasn't my favorite.

Animotion was next with their hit "Obsession". The female singer - I can't remember her name - had dyed her hair platinum, black and red, which looked really good, but she teased it into a ridiculous looking '60's-era bouffant. Overall, they still sounded good but not great, but they seemed to really get into camping it up, which made it made it more fun.

Shannon did her only hit that I know of: "Let the Music Play". She still sings fairly well, but after hearing Thelma Houston belt it out last week, it seemed slightly lacking. And she stopped singing at one point to do something that looked like pushups??

PM Dawn did their hit song that I never knew the name of: "Set Adrift on Memory Bliss" (I think). Their performance was adequate, but I always found the sample of Spandau Ballet's "True" oddly annoying.

One of the bands I was looking forward to seeing the most came on last. Missing Persons did "Words". The band itself still sounds great, but Dale Bazzio's voice has faded somewhat. She looks great, though, having grown out her hair and keeping the trademark platinum with pink and blue streaks. I was disappointed that they only got to sing half their song; might have made it easier to judge.

Onto the covers: Juice Newton selected an Ashley Simpson song, "Pieces of Me". I never really cared about the song one way or the other, but Juice's interpretation of it didn't impress me. Seemed rather flat.

Animotion made an interesting choice: "Days Go By" by Dirty Vegas. Good song, good beat. The band carried the singers well, and I liked the singers' work on this one better than on their hit. Plus they seemed to be having fun, which always earns points in my book. Enjoyed it enough to make Animotion my choice for a winner by a slim margin.

Shannon did "Foolish" by Ashanti. She did it better than she did her own hit, which surprised me. But she didn't really seem distinctive in any way compared to some of the other female vocalists who have been on.

PM Dawn picked something rather unexpected: Puddle of Mudd's "Blurry". I was afraid they'd try to turn it into a rap piece, but was relieved that they actually harmonized and sang it very well. I was mega impressed. The audience picked them as the winner, and I have to admit they were a close second to Animotion.

Missing Persons actually picked a good song for them: Kylie Minogue's "Can't Get You Out of My Head". The band was hot, but Dale Bozzio's voice kept cutting out, so it was a bit disappointing. It did redeem their cut-short version of "Words", though.

My pick for the series: I think Howard Jones was the best out of the five shows. He has an excellent voice, timing, emotion and plays the piano well. He still comes across as very talented.

Worst performer of the series: Vanilla Ice, even though the audience picked him as the winner the week he was on. He had no timing, seemed to have trouble remembering his own lyrics, and didn't even try to make what he did palatable. I still like his tatts, though.

Well, now what am I gonna do for music on tv? I miss MTV2 and VH1's "Behind the Music". Guess iTunes will have to suffice.

What are words for, when no one listens anymore......

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?