<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, June 16, 2005

More "hit" than miss tonight..... 

Watched tonight's "Hit Me Baby One More Time". The show was significant in that nobody sucked. Yayyyyyy!

First up was Wang Chung, who did "Everybody Have Fun Tonight". I thought they did a decent but not great job. I was unprepared for their cover, though....."It's Getting Hot in Here" by Nelly! It was startling at first to hear two older white British guys doing a hip hop song, but it actually worked somehow. They made it fun and refreshing.

Next was Sohpie B. Hawkins, whose big hit was "Damn! I Wanna Be Your Lover". She really hasn't changed....still has the long blonde wavy hair and came onstage with ripped jeans. She wowed the crowd by removing her button down shirt and revealing a tank top with the name of the song on it. Her singing was adequate. Her cover was a Five For Fighting song, which she did as a torch song, wearing a black evening gown with her hair up. Pretty voice, but not my favorite.

I was looking forward to Cameo, who didn't disappoint with "Word Up". The lead singer appeared in a shiny black outfit trimmed in bright red feather cuffs, a red flame hat, and trademark codpiece (which I love, heh heh). I was intrigued by their choice of cover, which was "1985" by Bowling for Soup. I wanted to like it but couldn't quite manage to. They slowed it way down, changed the lyrics and took all the humor out of it. Made it sound sad instead of funny.

Howard Jones was awesome! He no longer has the trademark spiky 'do, but his voice and piano playing are flawless. He did an impressive rendition of "No One Is to Blame" and an equally impressive version of Dido's "White Flag". He had my vote, but of course the audience didn't agree.

Irene Cara still looks good and sounds decent. She performed "Oh What a Feeling". For her cover, she did a song by Anastasia. I didn't think it was fair that she got to use her new group instead of just having them do backup. I liked the cover all right, but I didn't think it was the best. The audience did, though. At least there wasn't anyone truly dreadful for them to vote for.

I don't know who's on next week.....they didn't say. Hope the lineup is this good on future shows.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?