<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

And the microphone went "thud"..... 

Weird week on "Rock Star: INXS". First of all, the contestants were asked to write their own songs, but they were only given hours, not days, to do it. Then, only two of them were allowed to use their songs during the performance portion, and the other five were to chose from a list of famous songs. This produced unexpected results.

Suzie did "Start Me Up" by the Rolling Stones, a nice strong growling version of it. I knew when I heard it that she wasn't gonna be in any bottom three ranking this week. And I was right.

J. D. played it safe and performed a decent version of "Cold As Ice" by Foreigner. It was the best I've seen him do, and as much as I dislike him, I had to admit that it was fair that he didn't make the bottom three this week. But I would like to see him booted off soon because I just can't see him being a permanent part of the band.

Deanna did her original song, which wasn't actually entirely hers because Ty helped her write it. She has a powerful voice, but I couldn't understand what lyrics she was singing.

Ty did a rollicking version of "Proud Mary". Again, I thought he sang better than anyone else, and I was shocked to see him in the bottom three. But he once again redeemed himself with an INXS song tonight and got to stay.

Mig was the other contestant doing an original song, and I was impressed because he didn't have any help on his. What's more, the lyrics were strong, the tune showcased his voice, and he looked like he belonged on that stage. He still has the makings of a winner in my book.

Marty chose "I Alone" by Live. Unfortunately, the fact that he doesn't have the best voice was particularly obvious in this song, much more so than in any previous. He certainly has the rock star vibe on the stage, but he was completely out-sung this week. So it was painful to see him in the bottom three, but I couldn't argue that he didn't belong there. He did, however, more than make up for Tuesday night's mis-step by nailing an INXS song tonight and will live to see another week on the show.

Jordis decided to do Aerosmith's "Dream On", which I had thought would suit her. But as soon as she opened her mouth, something seemed terribly wrong. She was nervous and shaky, not at all like the Jordis of the previous weeks. And then the unthinkable happened.....she couldn't hit the high notes! This hideous screech came out of her like a slaughtered pig! I like Jordis a lot, but I felt like this was deserving of the bottom three. The rest of the viewing audience didn't agree, though, which I found curious. Instead, they chose Deanna. She did do a competant job on the INXS song tonight, but she was competing against Marty and Ty to stay, and the band had to pick someone to leave, so she got the boot. Believe it or not, instead of being relieved, four of the six remaining contestants were in tears. I have to admit to being kinda bummed myself.

"You make a grown man cry." -- the Rolling Stones

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?