<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, August 04, 2005

An excess of talent? 

Watched "Rock Star: INXS" Tuesday night. Again, nobody was awful, and it was harder this week than last week to find flaws in the performances. But some shone more brightly than others. One standout was Deanna doing Melissa Etheridge's "I'm the Only One" with lots of sex appeal and enthusiasm. Jessica, one of the weakest performers, did well on "Blister in the Sun" considering it's not much of a showcase for vocals. Marty, who blew me away with "Lithium" last week, did less well with the ballad "With Arms Wide Open", but he put a lot of heart into it anyway, and I found it charming.

Three performances were acceptable but not outstanding. J.D. did Joe Cocker's version of "The Letter", which I never cared for anyway as I always thought the version by the Boxtops was much better. Tara did "Message in a Bottle" reasonably well, but she was overshadowed by some of the others. The biggest disappointment of the night was Ty, I think because he has the best voice and so I had the highest expectations of him. He was obviously uncomfortable with the Foo Fighters song "Everlong", hesitant about the pace and seemed to be holding back.

Two performers were awesome. If I had to pick one of the women as the new lead singer of INXS, it would be Jordis. She has a strong voice without all the usual diva tricks. She can also do both uptempo and ballads equally well. This week, she sang "The Man Who Sold the World" by David Bowie and appeared to mean every word.

And I've got a soft spot for the good-looking Australian, maybe because they're trying to replace a good-looking Australian. Mig did "We Will Rock You" by Queen and brought the house down. Great vocal, lots of energy, good interaction with the house band....it's all there. So far, I'm rooting for Mig, but I wouldn't be disappointed if Jordis won.

Last night was the results show. The three lowest vote-getters were Brandon (who had done an adequate version of "If You Could Only See"), Tara and Ty. In order to avoid being eliminated, they each had to sing an INXS song. Ty got to do "Kick" and totally kicked ass! It was by far the best performance I've seen on the show so far. The band was blown away and quickly agreed to let him stay on the show. Brandon did well on "Devil Inside", but couldn't come close to Ty. Still, it was good enough to spare him for another week. Tara just didn't impress me, so I agreed with her elimination.

In other news, I got a phone call yesterday afternoon about an hour before I was supposed to have my interview with the long-term disability company. I was less than thrilled as I was in the shower when the phone rang. Anyway, the benefits coordinator said she had to leave early unexpectedly and would have to re-schedule. So we're gonna try this again tomorrow at noon. I'd like to get this out of the way because the longer I wait, the longer I go without benefits. The coordinator did mention that she has already requested medical records from my rheumatologist and ENT, so that's something.

The migraine FINALLY let up yesterday morning, although it is trying to make a comeback today. I'm gonna have to find a way to go back to seeing the chiropractor and massage therapist every three weeks.....once a month is just too long to wait. I don't want to spend the rest of my days hiding in darkened rooms trying to avoid headaches.

I'm supposed to get my back pay tomorrow! Yayyyyyyyyy! I've been sitting on a few bills and would like to get them taken care of. I also want to get my sister's wedding pix developed!

Been doing more online research on Social Security. Have found some informative articles that may come in handy in the future, such as income tax policies and supporting your claim with affidavits from co-workers. I think it's horribly unfair that you are subject to income tax on your SSDI, but the law is not terribly partial to those of us who are middle class or borderline low income. Sigh.

"Sometimes you kick, sometimes you get kicked." --INXS

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?