<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

"Rock Star" back with a vengeance.... 

This week's performance show was a vast improvement over last week's. With only six contestants left, the competition is getting fierce. And no one did a poor job tonight.

Ty did an admirable version of "You Can't Always Get What You Want" by the Rolling Stones. I've only seen him have one sub-standard performance, and it wasn't tonight. But maybe he sings a little too well for a rock band??

J.D. stuck to safe and predictable, covering "Suspicious Minds" by Elvis Presley. I have to admit it was pretty good. But he hasn't taken the risks that the others have, and he's got such an ego that I could see him insisting that band name be changed to "J.D. Fortune and INXS". I really hope this is the week he is asked to leave. He's the only remaining contestant that I don't like.

Marty went out on a limb and tried Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here". No screaming or theatrics on this one, just singing sincerely with a guitar. And he sang it amazingly well, better than anything he's done so far. I really do like Marty, but I don't think he and INXS are going in the same musical direction.

Jordis let me down so much last week that I didn't have high expectations of her this week. She picked John Lennon's "Imagine", a beautiful song than can easily be ruined with theatrics or poor singing. But unlike last week, she was natural, smiling and confident again and sang it so sweetly that she completely redeemed herself. Whew.

Mig cranked up the enthusiasm and belted out a wicked version of "Live and Let Die". He has great presence onstage and certainly loves to sing, and didn't hold anything back. I think he is the best choice of the men to front INXS.

Suzie, former queen of the bottom three, picked the formidable "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen. Her perfomances so far have mostly been good, but nothing had really knocked me off my feet yet. Until tonight. OMG, it was amazing! She had versatility, stage presence, and she blew all the other performers away. Finally did something that showed she had a range, and she did it so confidently that I've decided she is better than Jordis.

Tomorrow night, the three with the fewest votes have to compete to stay on. The early voting results show them to be J.D., Marty and Ty, but the early results have changed every week, so the other three aren't necessarily safe either. Whatever happens, J.D. has gotta go!

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?