<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, August 12, 2005

Sad news, good news, and stuff in between..... 

My dad called today to tell me that a family friend has died. This was not unexpected as she had been battling cancer for a long time, but I was still surprised because I thought she'd have a little more time. She was at my sister's wedding just a few weeks ago, and we talked about how great it was for so many of us to have gathered for such a joyous occasion. She will be cremated, but there will be a memorial service, which I plan to attend.

Got a gift package in the mail from Canada yesterday. Yayyyyy! Four music CDs and a small magnetic posable duck. Have listened to one of the CDs already: it has songs on it from Incubus, the Goo Goo Dolls, Collective Soul, Joe Jackson, Elvis Costello, the Violent Femmes, XTC, Radiohead, Nirvana and others. Right up my alley, and a welcome distraction from events of late.

Got a small check in the mail today. It says it's for 5 hours of work. I have no idea if this is part of the shortfall I contacted payroll about or not. But I'll take it.

Chip did something hilarious today. I was cutting up a baked sweet potato when a small piece of it fell on the floor. So I did what I usually do when there's food on the floor: I called Chip, the canine vacuum cleaner. He got so excited that there was a crumb for him that he went flying into the kitchen, and in trying to stop, stepped right on the sweet potato chunk, which stuck to his paw. Then he went nuts because he could smell the food in question but couldn't find it. So I had to get him to sit and let me look at his paw. The sweet potato piece had gotten wedged between two of his pads. I couldn't believe he hadn't noticed.

Still haven't heard back from my former manager about the vacation pay owed me. I'll have to call her next week. The manager has in been a lot of meetings this week regarding layoffs, so I've tried to be patient. Still, this is a significant chunk of change we're talking here, so it's rather important to me.

Dan's migraines have been getting worse again, and he was desperate to find something new for them, so I suggested feverfew. He found a preparation that contains feverfew, magnesium and riboflavin, and he tried it and says it helps. Huge sigh of relief. Have my fingers crossed that this will work long term.

Tomorrow, Dan and I will probably go to the Social Security office just to make sure we'll be able to find it on Wednesday. It's not in an obvious location like the one downtown. This one's near a frontage road and has a suite number. I hope it won't be as overcrowded as the downtown office.

I think the summer heat wave has finally broken. We had gotten a few cooler days here and there, but the temperature would always go back into the 90's the very next day. The forecast this weekend is for temperatures in the 70's with 80's all next week. Hooray!!

Finally did get the photos of my sister's wedding and my digital pix for 2004 and 2005 printed. All told, some 335 pix! Have sorted them for album pages but haven't gotten a chance to prepare any wedding pix to send out in e-mails yet.

In fact, there's a lot of things I haven't done because I've been so caught up in researching and preparing my SSDI stuff. I joked with my therapist yesterday that in order for me to self-advocate, I've had to become both a doctor and a lawyer. That's not as far from the truth as it sounds.

"When everything's made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am." --the Goo Goo Dolls

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?