<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, October 31, 2005

No Halloween treat for me.... 

Started methadone for pain relief last week. It caused excessive sedation (to the point where I couldn't get out of bed to use the bathroom), so I cut the dose in half per my doctor's instruction. While the sedation I experienced on the half dose was tolerable, it only got rid of half my pain. It also caused sweating, constipation and depression, like I needed more of any of those.

One thing that I found interesting is that although it didn't bother my stomach on the first dose or two, with each subsequent dose, I got more and more nauseous. Tonight I started vomiting, six days after I started the methadone. I think I figured out why this is happening.

I know that opioids are constipating, at least they are for me. I think that perhaps they also aggravate my gastroparesis, like my entire digestive system is freezing up or something. This would explain why I can tolerate a pain med at first but eventually can't keep anything down.

I'm going to try to get in to see my primary care doc again tomorrow or reasonably soon. I don't know if she'll be able to do anything about this, but it's worth a shot. I also have an appointment with my gastroenterologist on November 9th because of the digestive problems I was having prior to the adventures with the pain meds.

I have lost five pounds in the past week without intending to. I'm feeling kinda rough around the edges as you might imagine. Good thing I'm not answering the door to hand out candy because I'd be scaring the little kiddies.

I strongly suspect I will have to learn to live without pain relief. I guess that would fall into the "life is not fair" category.

"I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much."
--Mother Teresa

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?