<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Mission accomplished.... 

Yayyyyy! I got the Social Security forms completed and sent out today. I spread out doing the questionnaires over a couple of days because it REALLY hurt my hand holding a pen long enough to fill them out! I decided not to freak out about them too much. I mean, they give you ONE line to explain all the things you can no longer do because of your disability! Puh-leez! So I just put down whatever popped into my head and didn't write more than what they gave me room for. I figure if they're only gonna give me ten days to fill them out and get them back to the office of Disability Determination Services, they're not gonna get a novel outta me. I did, however, make full use of the "remarks" section of the function form because it was there. Made sure they understood that while I can still cook and drive, there are definite limits to my ability...they had these things down as yes or no questions. I can make eggs and cream of rice for myself, but I can't do homemade soup without help. I can drive myself to aquacise (15 minutes away), but I can't drive as far as my dad's house (about a 40 minute drive). I found it difficult to fill out the pain questionnaire because I have so many kinds of pain in so many places. I can think of all kinds of things I should have mentioned, but it's done and over with and any changes probably wouldn't have made a difference anyway. I sent the forms certified mail return receipt requested so I know they got them. I also sent in a separate envelope all the medical records I've obtained over the past three months.

It's a bit of a relief to know that Social Security has finally started processing my claim. My therapist told me yesterday that she had received their request for information. I hadn't gotten records from her because mental illness is not a big part of my claim, but I don't suppose it would hurt for Social Security to know I'm getting therapy for depression caused by not being able to work.

So what happens now is that Social Security gathers information for the next two months. If at the end of that time they don't have enough information to make a decision, they will require me to undergo consultative exams. In other words, I'll have to go to a doctor paid by Social Security to evaluate my physical or mental status. You can bet these are NOT impartial docs. The vast majority will state that the applicant is not disabled, paving the way for Social Security to deny the claim. I have been told that all the fibromyalgia claims in my area go to the same doctor, who does not believe in the existence of fibromyalgia. I do have other more serious ailments besides fibromyalgia, but it is likely the claim will go to this doc anyway. I've also found out that where I live, the approval rate for fibromyalgia claims is a mere 20 percent.

I think I've forgotten to mention that I did speak briefly with a lawyer on Tuesday. I haven't officially retained him yet, but I wanted to give him a heads up that I will likely be needing his services in the next few weeks or months. He is a local lawyer with experience representing fibromyalgia patients for both Social Security and LTD insurance cases. He told me that my LTD company is pushing the legal limits as far as putting off a decision on my claim goes. I will be calling him back if I am denied, if the company fails to reach a decision in the next few weeks, or if they try to force me to undergo an evaluation by an "independent" medical examiner.

I've got lots more to chat about, but my hands hurt, so later.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?