<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Twinkle, twinkle, electric stars..... 

Tonight, my husband and I did one of the few holiday traditions we can still afford....we drove around and looked at houses that had been decorated. It's quite a big deal where we live....the addresses that have the best displays are printed in the newspaper along with maps showing how to get to them. Every year, we pick a different part of town to see.

This time, we went back to my childhood neighborhood. One of the houses had greetings in Spanish and English and had holiday music playing. Another had a train running through the front yard and around the back.

We also went further north into some of the fancier, newer neighborhoods. One had a spectacular display of blue and white lights with animated displays in all the windows. The owner greeted the stream of spectators at the front door and handed out candy canes.

And one we happened to see by mistake when we made a wrong turn was especially impressive. Someone had hand-made wooden figures of all the major characters in The Nutcracker Suite. They were painted with great detail and were completely unique.

I also got to have my once-a-year treat of a cafe mocha at Starbucks. It was much-needed this year as the temperature was probably only 10 degrees and it was snowing. I was also glad I had my new hooded coat I received as an early Christmas present.

Dan and I have done this sightseeing bit enough years in a row that we have it down to a science. He drives, and I'm in charge of navigation. We bring maps, a flashlight so we can see the maps, snacks, water and holiday music.

Soooo tired now. But it sure was fun. Fa la la la la, la la la la.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?