<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, December 31, 2005

Year-end questionnaire..... 

Got this one from Ricky Buchanan's Not Done Living! site (see my links list) and added my own answers.

1. What did you do in 2005 that you'd never done before?
I began contributing articles and reviews for But You Don't Look Sick.
I applied for SSDI.
I went to a science fiction convention, met William Shatner, had my photo taken with him and got his autograph.
I acquired a wheelchair and started using electric carts in stores, which actually gives me the chance to go to a lot of places I couldn't before.

2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn't keep them all, but part of that was not my fault. I simply never got healthy enough to increase the amount of exercise I was doing. Same with helping Dan do housework and attending church more. On the other hand, my poor health WAS responsible for eating out less and taking better care of my teeth (had to get the root canals and crowns and such). And because I've had no income for while now, I have restricted my credit card use and followed a budget pretty closely. So I'd say I was moderately successful on keeping my 2005 resolutions.
Since I just wrote a big ol' article on resolutions, I suppose I'd better make some for 2006, or I'd look like a hypocrite, wouldn't I?

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My stepbrother's wife had a girl they named Allie.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
My grandmother died in March. I now have no living grandparents. And a friend from church died in November.

5. What countries did you visit?
Just my own, at least in person. Virtually, I visit Australia and Canada quite often.

6. What would you like to have in 2006 that you lacked in 2005?
A favorable decision from SSDI and one from the long-term disability insurance company would be a GREAT start. And the money that goes along with that, of course.
I would like to not develop any new medical problems.
It would be way cool if my fatigue would recede enough for me to resume some volunteer work with my church, or at least for me to be able to attend regularly.
A nice long romantic vacation with Dan. Um, the question didn't state that these had to be LIKELY to happen.

7. What date from 2005 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
August 17th. That was the date I applied for SSDI. It was like announcing to the world that I was volunteering to become a second-class citizen by applying for money that was mine in the first place.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Not succumbing completely to the depression that looms so large all around me.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Not saving enough money earlier in the year because I believed I'd be receiving regular income starting in August from the long-term disability insurance company.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Um, pretty much my whole blog covers this question.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
A month-long subscription to Netflix.
I also really enjoy the music CDs I bought this year.

12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Oprah Winfrey. She was serious about helping out the people who had lost their homes to hurricane Katrina, and is going about building brand new houses!
And the Coast Guard kicked ass, rescuing people by the dozens while most of the other agencies waited for instructions.

13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
FEMA, President Bush.

14. Where did most of your money go?
I won't have specifics until tax time, but besides the mortgage, my biggest expense was health care. Ack.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
My sister's wedding.

16. What song will always remind you of 2005?
Oddly enough, "1985" by Bowling for Soup, even though it came out last year. The reason is that it reminds me of a little reunion I had in October with friends I hadn't seen in 20 years.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

i. happier or sadder?
Um, both? Definitely sadder about the state of my physical health and the way I am being treated because of it, but happier because I have a great support system and have not allowed my mental health to completely collapse (although sometimes I come awfully close).

ii. thinner or fatter?
About the same. I achieved a normal weight in late 2004 and hope to maintain it indefinitely.

iii. richer or poorer?
Poorer by about $30,000!

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Movies in the theatre, comedy clubs, concerts, travelling, hiking, photography, reading, writing.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Going to doctors! Taking pills that made me sicker! Being confined to bed!

20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Um, already did that. Declined an invitation to get together with extended family; was too sick to pull that off. But a friend and I went to church and sang carols, made a ham dinner at my house, and played 1980's Trivial Pursuit. And I took a two hour nap on the couch in the middle of it all.

21. Did you fall in love in 2005?
I stayed in love. Does that count?

22. How many one-night stands?
Hilarious question considering that's practically physically impossible for me.

23. What was your favourite TV program?
"Lost" of course.

24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Not one person in particular, but some groups are currently receiving my wrath. Namely my long-term disability insurance company and the Social Security disability system.

25. What was the best book you read?
I liked Harry Potter 1-4.

26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
There was some local music by Love.45 and The Fray. I also like Goldfinger. Among the more mainstream stuff, Rise Against, The White Stripes, and The Black Eyed Peas.

27. What did you want and get?
Music CDs, an iTunes gift card, other gift cards so I can buy some much needed clothing and even a card for a scrapbooking place. "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" on DVD. Also the Harry Potter 5 book.

28. What did you want and not get?
Better health, a smoother road on being approved for disability.

29. What was your favourite film of this year?
Hard to pick. I liked several. "Goblet of Fire" was the one I saw most recently, so I'll pick that one.

30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was 41. I got dental work done. Woo hoo.

31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
A nice long romantic vacation with Dan (and the health to enjoy it of course).

32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2005?
Remember to put on something besides pjs when leaving the house!

33. What kept you sane?
Well, besides the therapist, heh heh, my friends, my husband, my dog and all the people all over the world who care about me and pray for me. It's really mind boggling how many awesome people there are in this world. Maybe it's because mostly we only hear about the assholes.

34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Female: Gwen Stefani. I like her because she is unique.
Male: Mmmmm, I like to look at a lot of men, so don't get me started on the ones I just like to look at. I did enjoy Orlando Bloom in "Kingdom of Heaven".

35. What political issue stirred you the most?
The slow response to evacuating poor and disabled people stranded by Hurricane Katrina. It broke my heart, people dying waiting to be rescued.

36. Who did you miss?
Some of my co-workers. Sometimes I feel invisible staying home so much.

37. Who was the best new person you met?
Ricky Buchanan. At least I THINK it was this year I stumbled upon her site.

38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you earned in 2005:
To find whatever good I can, no matter how great the suffering.

39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
"It's been so long
It's hard to breathe when the trust is gone
A face of steel
Just melts away in the weather

"You got a lot to weigh so weigh it
If you got a lot to say just say it
Aren't you tired of wastin fuel?
So now I hand the fuse to you

"burn it all
Let's burn it all
Let fire fall
Let fire fall
What's done is done
It's in the past
Its ashes"
--from "Ashes" by Pepper

Comments:
Wow! Thank you for sweet compliments! I am glad that you found me, so to speak :)

You are really 41? Maybe there is hope for me yet *grin*

Ricky
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?