<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Dan the Man and Ssassy the Car...... 

Dan's still feeling sore, but just in his neck now. He's been taking ibuprofen and Skelaxin, and he says it helps some. He's also icing it regularly.

Got a pleasant surprise this morning when the car rental place drove all the way out to our house to pick us up since we're completely car-less. We are renting a Nissan Sentra, and like it very much. Luckily, we have rental coverage on our car insurance, so we won't have too much out of pocket expense there.

Got a number for the city impoundment place and went out there. The auto body place we'll be using isn't open on the weekends, so we won't be able to get the car towed there until Monday. But the folks at the impoundment place were nice enough to let us get our personal belongings out of our car, like my handicapped placard, the garage door opener, the parking badge Dan needs for work, etc.

I got a good look at the damage. It's way worse than I was expecting. Two thirds of the driver side door was caved in, the left front wheel appears to be under the engine, and the windshield was broken.

I have to give the folks that design Saturns a lot of credit. There was a cross-section steel frame on the side of that car, and I can guarantee that's what kept Dan from only sustaining a minor injury. A friend of mine was in an almost identical accident with a different make of car, and she suffered multiple broken bones and required many stitches.

I figure the chances of the car being fixable are 50/50. I mean, it's probably repairable, but it might cost more to fix than the vehicle is worth. The car is seven years old and has 160,000 miles on it.

I'm trying to make sure Dan rests this weekend. He has requested Monday off work, which should help. We watched a couple of movies ("Crash", ironically enough, and the original version of "Sabrina") on the couch together tonight.

I'm much better than I used to be at not getting too physically tense in stressful situations, but I must admit to having a massive headache. I guess even a healthy person probably would, though. I'm mainly just grateful Dan's not in the hospital with multiple injuries.

Must sleep. But wanted to update first.

Comments:
Yikes!! I hope he's okay and doesn't have long-term difficulties out of this.

And I hope it wasn't the David Cronenberg version of CRASH watched... that would definitely be an omen...

Robert H.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?