<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, January 30, 2006

One wild ride of a week..... 

Well, I knew this week would be busy since I have three appointments, but the car accident really threw a monkey wrench into things. And recently, it got even more complicated, but in a good way.

The car insurance rep and Dan have been playing phone tag since Friday. I have no idea when they'll be able to agree on a time to turn in the title to Ssassy so we can get our check for the car's value. Every day this week has at least one thing scheduled.

Today, as I was getting ready to go to aquacise, Dan got a call from a company in South Dakota he had applied to for a graphic design job a few weeks ago. The company provides internet and cable tv services to hotels nationwide. Dan arranged a formal phone interview (with three managers simultaneously) for Wednesday afternoon.

After aquacise, the class went to lunch. Dan went too since he had driven me. I had grilled chicken, fruit, and a bit of salad with balsamic vinegar and oil and Pellegrino. Funny thing.....the waiter thought I said I wanted Pinot Grigio and asked to see my ID! I guess I should be flattered since I've been old enough to legally drink alcohol for 20 years. After lunch, we made a really quick trip to Penney's because they had jeans on sale and I had a Visa debit gift card burning a hole in my billfold. The really amazing thing was that they had jeans IN MY SIZE, and they completely covered my ass. I bought $95 worth of jeans (three pair) for only $59 including tax. And since the debit card was for $50, I only had to write a check for $9.

Tomorrow is the big bad dreaded FUNCTIONAL CAPACITY EXAM. This is definitely one of those grin and bear it situations, because if I don't jump through the long-term disability insurance company's hoops like a trained poodle, they won't pay me. I am bringing a snack with me because it could last as long as four hours. I am also bringing a typed summary of my daily activities for them to include with my paperwork because I don't trust them to write down accurately what I say. I basically summed up what I wrote on my Social Security function form. I got my sports watch fixed so I can keep an eye on how long I do something because I want to see if there are discrepancies between what I do and what they say I did. My rheumatologist is supposed to get a copy of the exam report, and I will ask him what's in it because the long-term disability insurance company sure won't do it. And of course, Dan will drive me to and from the exam because there's a good chance there will be surveillance on me that day.

On Wednesday morning, I will see my primary care physician so she can assess how the functional capacity exam affected me. I want any pain or fatigue exacerbation documented because I think that's important. I want as much ammunition as I can muster in case the long-term disability insurance company denies my claim.

On Thursday, Dan takes our new Saturn into the shop for a complete checkover. I know they checked it where I bought it, but I don't know if the previous owner kept up on maintenance or not, so I want an assessment of anything that needs replacement or might soon. I also want them to check for a short in the stereo system. The audio cuts out at random times, both on the radio and with a cassette playing. Yeah, I know, a minor thing, but I gotta have my tunes.

Friday, I go back to see the "second opinion' rheumatologist. Basically, I'm hoping he'll be willing to put something in writing stating he agrees with my primary rheumatologist that I can no longer work. My lawyer, who knows this doc, will be sending him a copy of my favorable consultative exam report and will ask him to comment on that too. The reason I'm going to all this trouble is that this rheumatologist is the foremost authority in my state on Sjogren's syndrome. If he believes that this ailment has caused me to become disabled, a judge is likely to believe it too.

Saturday I think is actually free of appointments, but Sunday is the monthly union meeting. I don't think there's any big news to discuss, but Dan and I need to make an appearance because we're both on the executive committee. It's kinda weird going to these things when I haven't even worked in a year.

Will check back in when I can.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?