<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Perusing the Globes.... 

Watched the Golden Globe Awards tonight for the first time ever. The awards are for television and film picked by the Hollywood foreign press. I find it odd that they put musicals in the same category as comedy, but otherwise, I'm cool with it. Classier than the various music award shows, but not as formal as the Academy Awards. Nevertheless, plenty of stargazing to be had.

I will come right out and admit that most of the film awards were beyond me as I had not seen any of the nominated movies. I don't know if that means I have bad taste or what. Actually, if Dan and I agree to go to a movie at the theatre, it's usually a comedy because that's what we can agree on. And since they lump the musicals in with the comedies, naturally the one year I watch, a musical wins all the awards. But I'll probably get around to watching "Walk the Line" eventually.

George Clooney got Best Supporting Actor for "Syriana", a film I don't doubt is good but one I probably won't seek out unless Dan wants to watch it. Same for "The Constant Gardener", for which Rachel Weisz got Best Supporting Actress.

I'm also at a serious disadvantage no longer having a satellite dish. I haven't watched "HBO" in two years, so some of those shows are Greek to me. So I cheered like crazy when Geena Davis won Best Actress TV Drama for ABC's "Commander in Chief". She added some humor to the evening when she told a touching story of how a young girl told her she was inspired to grow up to be president, then admitted she made up the story.

Most surprised recipient of the night was Sandra Oh for "Grey's Anatomy". She was extra jittery in a dress that had no sides to it, and when she got up on the stage declared that she felt like she'd been set on fire. Good actress, good show.

I think Steve Correll was a bit shocked with his big win over the "Earl" actor. He gave the funniest speech of the evening, reading from a piece of paper he said his wife handed him in which it thanked her about a half dozen times. I like the "The Office" and am considering viewing the new NBC "Must See" Thursday night lineup.

Surprise shut out for the women of "Desperate Housewives"! The only nominee for TV comedy that wasn't on that show won. That's all right; all the ladies got to go on stage when "Housewives" won best Comedy Series. And Felicity Huffman got an amazing Best Actress Film Drama for "Transamerica", which I have to admit I hadn't heard of but maybe will watch sometime.

Did anyone besides me find it amusing that the guy who won Best Actor MIniseries or TV Movie was an Irish dude who played Elvis?? Ok, I didn't see it, so maybe I shouldn't judge.

"Brokeback Mountain" won many of the Film Drama awards, including Best Screenplay, Best Original Song, Best Director, and Best Film. I have to admit I'm intrigued by most of Ang Lee's films, so maybe I'll catch this one. Glad to see Mr. Lee win; I've been a fan of his since "Eat Drink Man Woman". He's versatile and unpredictable.

Worst dress of the evening was worn by Gwyneth Paltrow. Pregnant or not, what's with the weird capped sleeves and collar? Anyway, she presented Anthony Hopkins with the Cecil B. DeMille Award. I greatly enjoyed the film retrospective (it helps I'm a big fan) and his speech afterward. A lot of shows drag during the lifetime achievement awards, but this one was good.

Must give Mariah Carey props because tonight nearly half of her boobs were covered. And Pamela Anderson's were totally covered, which pleased me and probably disappointed millions of men around the world. Queen Latifah had a beautiful blue dress on, and Geena Davis had on a very classy bright red number, a color I would not expect a redhead to wear. My fave men's attire was worn by Jamie Foxx, who had a dark purple shirt on with his suit.

John Williams is still winning awards for his film scores. Tonight it was for "Memoirs of a Geisha". I seem to recall him winning awards in the 1970's. He's holding up well.

And the least surprising TV victory of the night was for Best Drama. "Lost" won, of course. Yayyyyyyyyy!

I was impressed enough that I will probably watch again next year.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?