<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Ice dancing with the stars..... 

The stars tonight were the American pair of Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosto. Russians Tatyana Navka and Roman Kostomarov were heavy favorites for the gold medal, and they did not disappoint. But the US had not won a medal in ice dancing in 30 years. Belbin and Agosto did a catchy flamenco routine with complicated lifts showcasing Belbin's flexibility. But there were one or two slight missteps in the footwork, so their score came down a bit. The Russian pair was not perfect either, but they were more experienced and it showed. Still, the Americans were thrilled with their silver medals, acknowledged all the fans in the stands and were generally quite gracious.

One sad note to the competition: the Canadian couple who had that scary crash last night had to sit tonight out. No broken bones, but nasty bruising serious enough to sideline them. And a strange melodrama took place after Italians Barbara Fusar-Poli and Maurizio Margaglio had their crash yesterday. Fusar-Poli appeared to be angry with her partner and wasn't warming up with him, interviewing with him or even speaking to him. I wondered how they were even going to skate together without a temper tantrum of some kind. So the ice seemed even more cold than usual when they began their routine, and Fusar-Poli had a puss on for the first few minutes. But they began skating more and more in synch with each other, and Fusar-Poli finally smiled. By the end of the program, they were gazing into each other's eyes, and after they finished, they hugged. The crowd roared in response. No medal for Italy, but I don't think they minded so much.

The pair from the Ukraine took the bronze. I don't think their program was that strong, but maybe I was just distracted by Yelena Grushina's costume. The front was mostly sheer material with white cups on her boobs covered in fringe. None of the rest of her costume had fringe on it, so it just looked like part of a stripper's outfit. I would say this Olympics has to be the worst in terms of skaters' costumes. The silver medal winner in men's skating wore a shirt that was zebra print on the front, bright blue on the bottom of the sleeves, and bright orange on the collar and back part of the sleeves. Ack!

There were three athletes from my home state competing today, but two didn't do very well. Lindsey Kildow, however, did compete in the super-G despite lingering pain and stiffness from her crash. She managed to finish seventh, which isn't bad considering she still can't go completely into a tuck position.

Today the men did the giant slalom. This was Bode Miller's fourth event in the games. He did manage to finish both runs without disqualification. His second run had an impressive time, but it didn't hold as the Herminator, Joel Chenal of France, and Austrian Benjamin Raich all blasted through the course even faster. Bode ended up tied for sixth.

Tomorrow I don't know if I will watch all of the prime time coverage. Depends on whether "Boston Legal" will be on.

In other news, my tax refund has safely made its way into the savings account. Yayyyyy! To celebrate, I asked Dan to buy a candy bar for me (Hershey's Special Dark is gluten free) since he needed to go to Wallyworld for essentials (TP, shampoo, soap, etc.) anyway. Just don't tell my gastroenterologist I'm gonna be eating chocolate, heh heh. I'll ration it into small portions and eat it early in the day so as not to cause any trouble.

I did acquire a new album and some refill pages at the scrapbook store with my gift card. There is still a little bit of credit left on it, so when I get the time, I'll pick up some fun stuff like background sheets and stickers. I worked on my current album tonight and am about halfway through putting together the pages for the Fibrohugs conference in Colorado Springs in September 2002. What's really sad is that in the three years since I took the photos, the hostess of the conference and the wife of Fibrohugs' webmaster have died. At least I have pix of them laughing and enjoying life.

Drove myself to and from church last night and thought nothing of it. And then on the news, I saw that there was a fatal accident on the same stretch of highway I had been on about an hour before. Kinda creeped me out as I realized that if I'd decided to hang around and chat for awhile longer at church, perhaps I would have either been involved in the crash or at least would have witnessed it. Guess it just wasn't my time to go.

Started a review of "Night" by Elie Wiesel for But You Don't Look Sick, but am having trouble getting it done. I need to sit down maybe on the weekend and try to put something together without distraction. I want to get it finished before the month is over since it's supposed to be for February.

Have a double-header tomorrow and on Thursday. Tomorrow, I see the primary care doc about my meds and then FINALLY go for an hour-long massage/chiropractic visit. The new massage therapist is named Shannon; I hope she's good. On Thursday, I go to the physiatrist about my low back problem and then see my shrink. With all these appointments, I hope I am finally able to get rid of this horrible flare that the FCE started three weeks ago. I missed aquacise this morning because I couldn't get out of bed; I finally had to ask Dan to help me get up around 1pm so I could eat on schedule (bad for the diabetes if I go too long without eating). The pain is still bad enough to make me cry. Rotten price to pay for a stupid test.

Could be worse, I suppose. At least I'm not trying to recover from landing hip-first on ice.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?