<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Jailbreak! 

Ok, so I haven't exactly been in Folsom Prison, but I was feeling incarcerated by my illness and my long-term disability insurance company. So I conducted a "prison break" yesterday. I took a new medication Saturday night, Ativan, that was supposed to replace Klonopin, the one that makes me feel drunk for several hours after I'm up for the day. Well, the new med didn't stop my nightly twitches like the Klonopin does. All it did was make me sleepy for a few hours. By the time I gave up on trying to sleep yesterday morning, I didn't feel the slightest bit impaired. So I jumped in the car, not caring if I was being followed. I mean, what's the insurance company going to do? Arrest me for going to the florist?

Actually, being stuck in the house isn't too big a deal. It's not getting to drive our new car that was bumming me out. So I drove to the nearest florist blaring one of my homemade cassettes. I bought a small, very reasonably priced bouquet of roses for Dan (who does like getting flowers). I also drove out to the mall to go to my favorite card shop only to find it was no longer there. There was a Hallmark place at the other end of the mall, so i had to actually go back to the car and drive over there (can't walk that far). The very first card I picked up was perfect, so I purchased it and went home. This little excursion exhausted me, but I enjoyed getting to do it enough not to care. Maybe if I get to drive once a month I'll be ok.

I had to take a muscle relaxant and rest on the couch for about three hours after my little trip to get up the energy to go to the movie theatre. Yes, we did end up going to see "Walk the Line" after all. I highly recommend this movie. I thought maybe I was just biased because I knew pretty much every song in the movie, but Dan enjoyed it too and was singing some of the songs on the way home. Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon didn't immediately conjure up Johnny Cash and June Carter for me, but when they start performing on stage together, they become more believable. I was afraid they'd either make Cash out to be cold and evil or tortured and pathetic, but they managed to make him human, which is what he was after all. And June Carter, while supposedly scandalizing her family name with two failed marriages, was human too, wary of Cash but eventually ready to bring him back from the brink of overdose. What a formidable task that must have been, as it wasn't exactly fashionable in those days to go to rehab.

The most delightful part of the movie was the music, of course. It was probably completely new to anyone under 30. I didn't realize how much I'd missed hearing that music until I watched the movie. I remember waking up Saturday mornings to "Jackson" and "A Boy Named Sue". My mom would play Johnny Cash albums when she cleaned house. I now regret I didn't save any of the albums, even though they were all worn out from being played too much. So I think I will put a nice Johnny Cash compilation on my birthday wish list. Make the neighbors wonder if I've lost my mind, heh heh.

Wow, Dan's home early. I think he wants to celebrate Valentine's Day early so I'll check in later.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?