<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Ligety split! 

More surprises in the Olympics. The Alpine combined had everyone abuzz about Bode Miller. And he did start out well. But then came the shocking disqualification during the slalom because he straddled a gate. And the European favorites just couldn't compete with American Ted Ligety's awesome slalom runs. I'm not sure who was more suprised by his win: Ligety, or his joyous teammates who literally tackled him.

Men's short program ice skating was shown tonight. Even though the U.S. had some fine skaters, I was rooting for Yevgeny Plushenko of Russia, who had impressed me so much with his consistency, intensity and talent in the past. He absolutely did not disappoint. He in fact landed a perfect quad/triple combo and was spot on with everything he did. The spins were precise and speedy, the footwork appropriately elaborate, the choreography dramatic. No one else stood a chance. There were some who had great choreography but couldn't land their jumps, some who disappointed with flat performances (maybe due to nerves?), and some who had great potential but not enough experience. The medals won't be decided until after the long program, so the ones who did poorly tonight do have a chance to redeem themselves, but it will take a miracle to catch up to Plushenko unless he falls or something.

I did watch a little of the women's speed skating, but Dan called while it was on so I muted it. I don't remember much except I think it was the 500 meters and a Russian lady won.

Tomorrow night, my attention will again be divided during prime time because I will of course switch over to ABC at 8pm to watch "Lost". I'm hoping for another local athlete, Jeremy Bloom, to do well on the moguls, even if it does make my knees hurt just to watch that event.

Oops! Forgot I had a doc appointment in the morning. Better catch a few winks!

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?