<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Post-Katrina update in my own state..... 

After watching the heart-wrenching stories on Oprah yesterday and the much brighter news on her show today (families are starting to move into her Habitat for Humanity homes now), a local tv station did a follow up on the some of the people who survived Katrina six months ago and ended up here. The news is mixed. Some settled in, found jobs and are trying to make a go of it here. Others STILL haven't gotten a penny from FEMA, cannot work, and have no idea what's going to happen to them. About 160 families here are expected to lose funding for housing next month. Local charities are trying to help them.

Oprah says the plan of her Angel Network is to build a total of 250 homes. They are nice houses of manageable size, all supplied with the essentials from Target and a furniture company. My only regret is that there are thousands of others who will still have nowhere to live, who think their own nation has turned its back on them, who will never have a home of their own again.

In other news, I am still quite sore from yesterday's massage. I'll have to ask the therapist to take it easier on me next time. There are areas that feel bruised, believe it or not. Aquacise today was painful, but my range of motion was better than before the massage, so that's progress. Tomorrow, no exercise because of two appointments, but I will try stretching on Friday and see if I can get through it with no tears. If can manage that, I will step back on my Gazelle this weekend.

Will probably watch about three-fourths of tonight's prime time Olympic coverage because "Lost" will be on, at leat I THINK it's a new episode. If it's not, I'll just flip back to NBC. I'm not even sure what sports are on tonight.

Ok, so monkeys didn't fly outta my butt, but I feel almost as sore as if that had happened, heh heh.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?