<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Back again.....sort of..... 

Had Dan take the tower drive over to the nearest Apple retailer (I called ahead and made an appointment) yesterday afternoon. They cleaned it up, literally, because four years' worth of dust had accumulated in there (ewwww) and took a look around. Except for being dirty, it looked fine. They tested out the modem and pronounced it in good working order. They also hooked the drive up to their high-speed and downloaded the latest update of OSX, iTunes 6 and a few other things I needed. And then they sent the tower back home with Dan because they couldn't find anything wrong with it at all.

The good news is that I am now able to download songs again! So I will be able to use my gift cards after all. I downloaded "I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor" by Arctic Monkeys as a test. And when I'm on the internet, pages seem to be loading a little faster, probably because of the updates. And no crashes since Dan hooked everything back up last night.

The bad news is that I STILL can't maintain in internet connection! It hangs up every 20 to 40 minutes or so. I guess the next step is to contact Earthlink and see if there's something wrong on their end?? I still can't restore my playlists for iTunes, so I will have to resort to going to the Music Store and seeing if any of my iMixes are still on there. I also have song lists for some of the playlists if I can just remember where they are. Fortunately, I did manage to put MOST of my downloaded music on CDs (I probably lost about a half dozen, though), so I can just copy them back to iTunes. Kind of a pain in the butt, and I'm not feeling very confident that the whole thing won't have to be done over again if I crash, but I've got almost 300 songs back onto iTunes since I started over three weeks ago, which ain't bad. The other thing that aggravates me is that I can't figure out how to get my Earthlink e-mail accounts back into Mail. I still have to go online to get to my messages, and I tend to forget to check it, so I hope no one sends me anything of an emergency nature to that account.

Back to the subjects of tunes. Dan and I had to get thyroid tests at the endocrinologist's today, and since we were in the neighborhood, we stopped in Tower Records (you can bet Dan really had to twist my arm to get me in there, heh heh). I had birthday money burning a hole in my purse, so I jumped at the chance to get some Johnny Cash music. Found a four-disc set called "The Legend" that covered nearly everything. The only material it didn't have was some of the the San Quentin concert I remember hearing as a kid, so I also bought the remastered CD of that. Am listening to "I Walk the Line" right now; there is a sincerity to his music and the way he sang it that takes it beyond the country stereotype and into something universal. Maybe it's because I heard it all my life, but I thought Johnny Cash music was cool since before I was old enough to know what cool was. The edge to his voice that would rattle the windows, the sound of whiskey and tragedy and just a little bit of hope. Who else could sing about cold-blooded murder and God's redemption and make both believable? This was probably one of my better music investments.

Am slowly recvovering from the dental work on Tuesday. Still getting muscle spasms in my jaw that feel like a knife cutting into my face and annoying headache to go along with it. Am able to to chew a bit now but don't dare try anything crunchy until the TMJ decides to chill. Have a feeling this will be a problem until I see the massage therapist in two weeks. Will probably try some self massage in a few days, but right now it's just too painful.

"Because you're mine
I walk the line".....
--Johnny Cash

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?