<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Fillings....woe, woe, woe, fillings..... 

Since Dan needs therapy twice a week for his whiplash injury (he's still getting migraines) and we have only one car, I've had to schedule multiple appointments of my own on the same day. For instance, today I had to go to both the physiatrist and the dentist. I don't recommend this sort of thing.

The physiatrist said that although I have made progress during the past month stabilizing my right SI joint with physical therapy (mostly stretching and a little bit of work on the treadmill), I still have a long way to go. He tested my range of motion (ouch!), and it is still poor in my hips. He recommended one to two more months of therapy before attempting the injections again (the injections do me no good if my SI joint pops out of place).

I went straight from the physiatrist, sore hips and all, to the dentist. I needed two fillings on the same tooth. Sjogren's syndrome is causing my teeth to decay around old fillings, even though I take excellent care of my teeth.

Unfortunately, the old filling was difficult to remove, and once it was off, the dentist discovered much more extensive decay than she was expecting. She went ahead and did the fillings but informed me that I may require a root canal. If so, she will send me to an endodontist.

Dental work is particularly problematic for me with the Sjogren's/fibromyalgia combo. I have an adrenaline reaction to the anaesthetic, TMJ, and of course the arthritis makes it painful to sit in the dentist chair. Because I have to rest frequently (even with the mouth splint thingy), every procedure takes almost twice as long as normal.

The numbing stuff wore off about three hours ago. Holy cow it hurts! Can't take pain meds (they shut down my digestive system), so I iced my jaw, which surprisingly helped a little.

I can hardly open my mouth at all. I managed to squeeze a small spoon in there so I could eat some plain nonfat yogurt and gluten free tomato soup. The smallest scrape in my mouth tends to become an ulcer, so right now it feels like it's on fire.

My computer's acting funny again, so if I should suddenly vanish, it's not because I'm ignoring anyone. Ack. It was going fine except for the modem cutting out every half hour or so, and then last night, the computer froze up during a blog entry (lost the whole damned entry and then I was too exhausted to re-type it) and a music CD got stuck in the disc drive. Couldn't exit any of the applications, and when I re-booted, I got the flashing question mark, which is the kiss of death on a Mac. Had to re-build the desktop to get it to work. So I will have to have the tower drive looked at. I need a working computer so Dan can job hunt, and we'd better get it working reliably before Dan gets laid off.

Speaking of which, Dan found out last night that, contrary to rumor, no one near retirement at work is interested in taking the buyout, which could mean Dan's last day of work is in May and not in July. But get this: the managers in charge of the layoffs accidentally counted employees from another department when coming up with final numbers for when the staff all moves into one building, so there is going to be a meeting amongst the powers that be tomorrow, and they may have to keep six of the people they'd told were subject to layoff, one of whom would be Dan. These tards don't even know who works for them!! I just hope their boo boo works in Dan's favor.

Dan did get an acknowledgement letter yesterday from one of the companies he applied to in South Dakota. They said it will be a few weeks before they start contacting people for interviews. I thought it was very thoughtful of them to do that. It used to be that most companies would at least let you know they got your resume, a little post card in the mail or something. But now, you rarely get a person's name or sometimes even the physical location (other than city and state) of where you are applying. And maybe one in ten will contact you at all, and when they do, it's usually to tell you someone else got the job. Maybe Dan's luck is about to change?? Sure hope so.

Better see about backing up what few files I have since the big crash of a few weeks ago, just in case.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?