<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, March 23, 2006

The funny and the not-so-amusing..... 

Here's a little example of how absent-minded I am lately. Call it fibro fog if you will:

Tonight, I heated up some frozen gluten free waffles for supper. Sometimes they can still be a bit cold in the middle after toasting them, so I put some cherry fruit spread on them and then put them in the microwave for 30 seconds. During that time, I realized I was out of cold seltzer water and got some out of the pantry and put it in the fridge. Then I started to go upstairs with my glass of seltzer water and realized I was supposed to be eating something. Oh, yeah, waffles! But then I couldn't find them! I looked all over the kitchen at all the counter tops, even went into the living room. Finally, I saw the blinking "End" message on the microwave and remembered where they were! Geez! How could a person completely forget what they were doing during a mere 30 seconds?? I had a good laugh over that one.

Far less amusing are Dan's continued migraines following the accident. He called me from work tonight and announced he was coming home early. He plans to call his primary care doctor tomorrow to see what else can be done. He says the massage therapy is helping, but it isn't enough to stave off the headaches. He has tried a more ergonomic pillow, which helped a tiny bit. Mainly, he's been using muscle relaxants and pain meds, but those aren't a long-term solution. Maybe physical therapy would help him? He's rather tall and tends to slouch, which maybe aggravates his neck?

Watched a special airing of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" tonight. It's the first of a four-parter about rebuilding after Hurricane Katrina. It's a two-plus hanky show if ever I saw one. Tonight, they were in Biloxi, Mississippi, a town I remember visiting during the '80's when a friend of my dad's lived there. I didn't realize just how decimated that town was until they drove through it. Basically, whole city blocks of rubble. Awful. And they featured one guy who lost four members of his family the day the storm hit. Flood waters 30 feet deep washed his family away right before his eyes. He survived by grabbing a tree in his front yard. The design team helped him by making a permanent memorial to those who had died. They also rebuilt the local hospital clinic, which was sorely needed as it had been the only source of medical care for many of the residents and had been totally wiped out. They stocked a closet full of towels and blankets and other items to give to patients. And they helped out a group of 30 families living in temporary trailers by giving them washers and dryers and $500 gift certificates so they could buy clothes and other things they needed. And to think there are thousands of people who need this kind of help and much more.....

Haven't accomplished much in the way of spring cleaning this week. Finished sorting through the command center and re-arranging the books. Meant to sort through the video tapes with Dan last weekend, but never got around to it. And I had plans to clean out the bathroom cabinets tonight, but Dan's home now, and I'm not so sure I want to aggravate his migraine with having the bathroom light on for a few hours. Ah, well, it will still be there tomorrow. And I don't think there's anything I want to watch on prime time tomorrow night....

Listening to "Magical Mystery Tour"....

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?