<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Musings about the Academy Awards..... 

First, I'll apologize in advance for maybe getting the actors' names wrong. I no longer have a backup browser available to cut and paste names as I'm typing like I did with the Olympics. And it has been several days since the Awards, so my memory ain't very fresh either.

For all the hoopla of red carpet analysis, the actual awards part was too brief. By that, I mean they didn't let the recipients of awards TALK on stage. It was really bad when there were multiple recipients, and one person would say a sentence or two, and then the music drowned the other recipients out. How rude! I for one was interested in what the writer of "Brokeback Mountain" had to say.

I was pleased with the lack of cheesy production numbers, though. I do prefer the montages of clips instead. But what was the deal with the movie songs? Dolly Parton comes out and gives a very nice performance of a song for "Transamerica" I liked, but had no visible accompaniament. Then the song from "Crash" has slo mo dancers in flames! WTF?? And the "Hustle and Flow" song had the dancers in "ho" and "pimp" gear, although that made a lot more sense since the song was actually about being a pimp. I don't mind that it won, even though I liked Dolly Parton's song better.

The acting awards were no surprise, although I would have also been ok with Matt Dillon for "Crash" or Felicity Huffman for "Transamerica". I applauded for Reese Witherspoon and liked her acceptance speech. I also liked her dress.

I did not get to see "King Kong" but Dan did, and he said it definitely deserved the Visual Effects award. There were some good choices this year for Documentary Feature, but I liked that "March of the Penguins" won. And that there were stuffed penguins on stage, heh heh.

"Memoirs of a Geisha" won a few more awards than I was expecting. I had wanted to see that one too. Guess I'll rent it eventually.

Jon Stewart did a fine job as host. Just sarcastic enough, funny, not too cheesy. I wouldn't mind seeing him return.

Interesting split of awards between "Brokeback Mountain" and "Crash". So I guess all the homophobes and racists can relax that neither movie was a runaway winner, heh heh. Haven't seen "Brokeback" yet, but might rent it sometime. Was happy to see Ang Lee win for Best Director. He is a fave of mine. I'm happy that "Crash" got Best Picture, not just because it was a good movie, but because it was important.

Comments on the apparel: what was with all the women wearing black?? Or champagne?? I'm probably just weird, but I think most natural blondes look awful in all black. Makes their skin tone look sickly. And was it Charlize Theron who wore that awful gown with the massive black bow on one side? Looked like a super-sized tarantula was crawling from her shoulder to her left earlobe! Some of the champagne colored gowns were very pretty, but others were too close to the skin tone of the wearers, so from a distance, you couldn't tell if they were wearing anything at all! And I would skip the trains at an award show. Jennifer Garner tripped on hers onstage! J-Lo had a beautifully fitted gown, but that olive green color wasn't very appealing. And she had her hair pulled back so severely that her ears stuck out. Best gown of the night was on Selma Hayak: royal blue, form fitting but not obscenely tight. As for the men, most looked fine, but the guy who won Adapted Screenplay for "Brokeback Mountain" appeared a bit silly with a dinner jacket and jeans. I think it was Jamie Foxx who had a royal blue shirt on with his suit. Sharp!

And that's probably more than enough of that.

Comments:
I was hoping Murderball would win for Best Documentary, but was fine with March of the Penguins. Check out Murderball if you haven't seen it. It is incredible. Another documentary that wasn't nominated was Grizzly Man. Also worth checking out.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?