<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, April 02, 2006

V for "Very Little Chance I'll Get This Posted Before the Computer Crashes".... 

Yes, the derned machine started crashing again shortly after my last post. Sigh. My new guess is that maybe it's not the modem but instead the disk drive that's malfunctioning?? Because it has started making noises like it's trying to shut off no matter what I happen to be doing. Last night, the Johnny Cash CD I was listening to stalled, and then I couldn't get the disk drive to open, like it was holding Mr. Cash hostage! Three restarts later and I was finally able to remove the disk. Then tonight, I decided to not use the drive at all, and the machine crashed while I was online. Grumble. I'm gonna have to call up the Apple Store again and ask them to take a look. I'm 90 percent sure now it's a malfunction of the machine and not anything I'm doing wrong. I just wish I actually had some time to drop the tower off. I have three appointments on Monday and appointments every single day after that.

Anyway, before I lose my connection again (and before my memory fades too much), I want to mention a movie I saw tonight: "V for Vendetta". I had a gift certificate to the theatre (birthday present) to spend, and that was the film I chose. I don't normally go much for action movies or material based on comics that I'm not familiar with, but I read some reviews and some friends' blogs about it and decided the plot sounded interesting enough to keep me entertained, so I went for it. Dan and a friend accompanied me.

The movie is based upon a graphic novel written about England during Margaret Thatcher's time in office. It is set in England of the future, but it's not so distant a future that one cannot relate to the political issues raised. In fact, it would be easy to mistake England of the future for the US of the present (or at least that we're headed that direction). In this England, curfews and surveillance rule, and deviation of religion, political belief and sexuality are given zero tolerance. Here we meet Evvie, who is confronted when she is outdoors past curfew.

Evvie is rescued by a masked man, a man with a message for England: he wants the people to rise up and meet him in a year to resist the conservative regime that calls itself a government. The man, who goes by "V", is literate, witty, and may or may not be a terrorist. While some of the lead characters in movies based on comics claim or are implied to be complicated, this guy truly is. He is so articulate that he can almost distract you with words while committing base and vile acts. It's a tossup at times in this movie whether he is gallant or disgusting, heroic or misguided, noble or pathetic. I never thought I could actually mesmerized by a figure wearing a goofy mask and dressed like an insane Zorro. You don't just listen to him because he's brandishing knives, you listen to him because he has something worthwhile to say.

Evvie is the classic example of a woman at the wrong place at the wrong time, yet she is not a helpless victim, at least not when she is given a way out and decides not to take it. It's difficult to say which is the bigger factor in her failure to reveal the identity of "V": her fear and loathing of her government, or her fascination with "V" and his cause. One thing, however, is clear; her final action in the film is her own choice.

"V for Vendetta" shouts the question: who is a terrorist? And it does not shy away from the fact that there is no easy answer to this question. And that history will repeat itself, as many times as necessary.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?