<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, July 29, 2006

More notes from the long hot summer.... 

Went out into the bright bright world yesterday afternoon despite the continuing migraine. Picked up a prescription and headed to the laundromat to wash my blue comforter so I would have a clean one to put on the bed when washing the black one. Gotta have the bed made every day in case there is a showing. Too bad our washer is too small to hold a queen sized comforter. Dan says if we end up having to buy a new washer and dryer when we move that we should get one of those huge capacity ones. Don't know if it's more economical than the standard sized ones in the long run because you'd be doing fewer loads of laundry, but I suppose we could look into it.

Had to wear my sunglasses in Walgreens because the fluorescent light was just as piercing as the sunlight outdoors. On the way to the laundromat, I had to wait for a coal train to pass by. Those things seem to be miles long. So by the time I pulled into the laundromat with the comforter, my head felt like someone had stabbed it with a dagger and the blade had broken off in my skull. The machines in the laundromat are noisy and not well maintained. I happened to be unfortunate enough to choose a machine that wasn't working properly. It got stuck in the first part of the rinse cycle. I waited awhile, reading with my sunglasses on, hoping that it was just taking extra time because the comforter was so large. But, no, the machine next to me washed an entire load during the time mine was stuck. So I fiddled with my machine a bit, tapping at the gauge to see if it would move, all to no avail. Finally got the owner's attention and tried to explain what was going on, which was difficult because she didn't speak English and I don't know any Asian languages. But finally she figured out that it was jammed and got out a ladder (it was a tall upright machine) and took the lid off and manually ran it through the rest of the settings. Then I still had to run it through the dryer, which took another 40 minutes. Thought it had gotten completely dry, but after I took it out and started to fold it, I found that the middle of one side was still damp. I decided just to take it home anyway and spread it out on the bed and run the ceiling fan over it on high speed, which actually worked pretty well.

On the way home, there was ANOTHER train! At this point, I was wishing I had sunglasses to go over my sunglasses. When I finally got in the house, I found I had a message from my realtor. She just got back from vacation and said she was going to try to get a hold of the other realtors who had been showing my house while she was away (I had at least six showings, I think) and see if she could get some feedback. That would be really nice since I've heard absolutely nothing about how it's going or whether anyone who has seen my house is remotely interested in buying it.

Also missed a call from Dan, but I called him after I made some supper. He has been applying to other jobs to see if he can get something that pays more. He was turned down for two of them. There's a third one he saw advertised last weekend, and I've got his cover letter all done, but he says he hasn't had time to send it to them yet. This is with an ad agency that actually has two openings, one for a production artist and one for a designer. Even though he might like the designer job better, he's applying for both because he's qualified for both and he'd take either if it pays more than what he's making now. He hasn't had a chance yet to get a hold of the Sioux Falls realtor to schedule some more home tours.

After talking to Dan, I went out back to apply weed killer to the patio and gravel areas. By this time, it was late enough in the day that these areas were in the shade. Had the same problem with the other product in that the bottle had to be absolutely level in order to spray, which means it's rather inefficient to get it on the weeds from a standing position. I can't crouch down for long without my feet going numb, so I ended up bent over at the waist, which is bad for the back. Also woke up the carpal tunnel with all the spraying. Ended up using the whole bottle again because it didn't cover nearly as much ground as I was expecting. Next time, I'm going to have to get the larger size.

Wanted to keep Chip out of the back yard while the spray dried, so I took him out front on the leash. I was afraid he would try pulling my arm out of its socket like he usually does, so I tried to keep him close to me, but he got really excited about something and suddenly veered off to the side, and I tweaked my lower back AGAIN. So before I could go to bed last night, I had to take a Valium and put on Migraine Ice and Icy Hot patches and put a moist heat pack on the back of my neck. Sigh.

Woke up this morning still kinda out of it because the migraine's still not completely gone. Did my workout on the Gazelle, which I'm sorry to say did not help. Need to get some things at Wally World, Icy Hot patches being among them, but I don't know if I should brave being out in the sun again. Of course, if I do any yard work this evening, I'm probably gonna need one of those Icy Hot patches.

For the moment, though, I'm gonna go downstairs and drink some green tea and see if that helps.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?