<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Savvy? Aye! 

Dan sent me some money, and I got it today! yayyyy! It was his idea. I was relieved that I didn't have to ask. Anyway, most of it is going to practical stuff like meds and food and bills, but I did set aside a bit to actually do something fun. I had gotten a postcard in the mail for a free admission to a new local movie theatre (but I wanted a few bucks in hand for a small popcorn and iced tea), and I knew exactly what film I wanted to see: "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest"! Yo ho ho and rum, Bloom and Depp, please!

Only Johnny Depp could pull off the role of Jack Sparrow, excuse me, CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow. Someone else might make him too foppish, too unappealing or too serious. He successfully balances cowardice, adventurousness, and drunkenness and makes the character irresistable. Ok, so I've always liked looking at him. But the role he plays is fun too.

Orlando Bloom is back as well, cunning, heroic and gorgeous as ever. This time, he embarks on a quest to free both his fiancee and his father. He encounters quite an array of foes on sea and land along the way.

I particularly like character of Elizabeth Swan. She's so much more than a helpless damsel. She gets to kick some serious booty, heh heh. One of my favorite scenes is where she's on a beach objecting to a swordfight over the treasure chest, and absolutely no one listens to her. Someone else makes off with the chest, so she must take matters into her own hands.

There some rather vile characters this time who are new. One is Davy Jones, who might better be called Squid Face for obvious reasons. The other is a Kracken. Squid Face likes to enslave people and turn them into sea creatures. Kracken likes to eat ships. One could see how the two would work well together.

Without providing too many POTENTIAL SPOILERS, I would like to mention a few entertaining scenes. One is when Johnny Depp is about to become the main course at the luau from hell. He manages to get loose but is still tied to a spit and looks kinda like a human shish kabob. Another is when his crew has been imprisoned in huge round cages. In their quest to get away, they start rolling around like a giant gyroscope. And the most creative one has got to be the three-way sword fight on a water wheel. That last one might induce motion sickness in those of you susceptible.

I have to admit the movie might be a tad long. But I was entertained enough not to mind much. I found many parts of it to be hilarious, and that always helps.

But what am I gonna do about this sudden hankering for Bacardi? Yo ho ho......

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?