<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, July 24, 2006

Weary of beating myself up.... 

On Thursday night, I was cooking supper while "Grey's Anatomy" was on. I was standing near the bottom the staircase, waiting for a commercial break so I could go back into the kitchen. Unbeknownst to me, Chip had decided to stretch out on the area rug right behind me. The commercial came on, I whirled around to head to the kitchen, started to step on Chip's leg and then tried to get out of his way. Chip got out of all this pretty much unscathed, but in my valiant effort not to hurt him, I fell into the bottom few steps in a heap. Twisted my left knee and the left part of my lower back and banged my elbows on the bannisters.

Woke up on Friday sore from Thursday night. Did my usual stretches, but they didn't seem to help much. Was horribly exhausted, but forced myself to leave the house finally at 4pm to go to Wally World and then the grocery store. Bad idea....neither place had any electric carts available! I guess most of local disabled people go shopping on Fridays at 4pm, heh heh. So I had to turn right around and go back home. Grumbled about this to my neighbor/friend, and she volunteered to get some seltzer water and a few other things for me from the grocery. This was cool, because she was able to buy eight two-liter bottles of seltzer, whereas on my own, I can only buy one or two because that's all I can carry. While she was gone, i figured I'd pop outside and pull a few weeds. This was a bad idea for two reasons: one was that I was still sore from tripping over Chip, and the other is that I forgot to put on bug spray. So after about half an hour, I had back and leg spasms so back I could hardly walk, and had new bug bites on my fingers, legs, arms and face. I even had a bite on my butt! How a mosquito managed to bite me through shorts and undies I'll never know.

Yesterday, I pretty much took it easy and worked on photo albums until about 6pm. Then I decided I'd better get out and fertilize the front yard. There's a very limited window for doing this: you have to have 24 hours of temperatures under 90 degrees AND no rain. This is rather hard to come by in July as it's either 90 plus degrees, or if it's cooler, it's raining. Now, my neighbor/friend had volunteered to help me when she got home from work, but she was running late, and I thought I'd be able to handle it. Well, I got it done.....barely. The spreader is fairly lightweight, but going around the yard pushing it is still difficult for me because of the amount of walking involved. I went slowly and paused for breathers. The most difficult part is probably picking up the spreader and pouring the leftover fertilizer back in the back and then rinsing it out with the garden hose. I was getting seriously dizzy and tired doing this, but I pushed my way through it and had a shower to rinse off the fertilizer and bug spray (I remembered this time!) and then collapsed on the couch in a big old heap. Ended up taking a Valium with my Lunesta just to be able to relax my sore muscles enough to sleep. Was so exhausted today that I couldn't get out of bed until 12:30!

I have a ton of weeds to take care of in the back yard, but don't know if i even dare. One of the things I was gonna buy at Wally World on Friday was more weed killer. The stuff I sprayed last week seemed to have no effect! So I may get a different brand. Pisses me off that I'm gonna have to go through this again. I don't mind pulling weeds out of the grass by hand, but the worst of it is growing through the cracks in the patio and through the gravel lining the yard. So I guess my choices are carpel tunnel from pulling weeds or carpal tunnel from spraying them. Grumble.

At least I haven't had to knock myself out cleaning for a showing. Haven't had any showings all weekend. In fact, I've not had a single showing on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday since the house went on the market. I wonder why that is? Can't really blame the weather this time. It's sunny and about 90, typical summer day (as of this writing).

Trying to decide if I'm up to hauling all the photo album supplies off the top shelf of the book room closet.....

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?