<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, August 11, 2006

The long, slow summer continues..... 

The realtor called me back yesterday. Said that there still is someone interested in the house, but this person is still working on the financing before making an offer. So, no progress really from a week and a half ago. I have not had a showing in over a week, the first time since the house went on the market. I would think with school starting in a few weeks that this would be the time people with children would make offers. My house is only two blocks from an elementary school, so a lot of people with kids have been looking. I think if people stop picking up brochures and I don't get at least one showing next week that maybe it's time to look at dropping the price. Not that I want less money, especially since the house is already priced $20,000 below its real value and $6000 below the taxable value, but I don't want to still be stuck here by myself when the holidays come around. Interest in house hunting starts declining in the fall, and drops to almost zero in November and December. I'm not looking forward to living in South Dakota, but financially speaking, I'd better get a move on if I don't want to go bankrupt.

Because we seem to be at a lull as far as selling the house goes, i told Dan to just go ahead and book a flight here for Labor Day weekend. It's only three weeks away, and there's no telling how long it will be before I get to see him again if he doesn't take advantage of having the holiday off work. So Dan the Man will be home! Yayyyyyyy! Chip will absolutely go nuts. We talked about what we would do while he was here. As nice as it would be to go to the mountains, everyone else in town will be doing the same thing, and I don't want to waste a day sitting on the highway when I want to be out taking pix of the fall colors (fall comes early at high elevation). There is an outdoor festival going on downtown, but it's a real pain to navigate it in a wheelchair. So we might go to a movie if there's anything playing that we really want to see. And we will go out to eat at P.F. Chang's. It's the only Asian restaurant I know of that has a clue about gluten free food, and they don't have the chain in Sioux Falls, so I'd better get my fill while I'm still here, heh heh. The rest of the time will probably be spent hanging around the house, playing with the pup. Can you believe it has been three months since I've seen my husband?

My sister and her husband came by last night and took me to the Outback for dinner. It was really nice to be out of the house for something besides a showing, aquacise or grocery shopping. It's the first time I remember getting together for no particular reason since my mom died nine years ago. My family just basically meets with me for holidays, weddings, birthdays, funerals and help with moving heavy objects. But I think my sister is one of the few who is actually sad about the fact that once I leave, I won't be back, or at least she is the only relative who has expressed this aloud. And the timing of me moving is really a bummer, because she just got married last year, and I won't be here when she and her husband start their family. I'll just be this distant aunt who doesn't get to spend time with her nieces and nephews. It's upsetting to think about missing out on that. But we had a good time at dinner last night.

Talked to the account rep for the storage company who was trying for the third month in a row to overcharge me. She said they are in the midst of switching to a new computer system, and it has double-billed EVERYONE. So I confirmed the amount I really need to pay this month to make sure i won't be getting any past due notices on amounts that I never did owe. Don't ya love technology?

Almost done with the layouts for the 2004 photo album. I'm getting excited about this one because it will probably be the best one I've ever done. I mean, I've got pix of dolphins, palm trees and an adorable niece, so how can I go wrong? I'm trying to focus on it to distract me from being burned out and depressed about how long it's taking to sell the house.

I did submit my first weekly review for But You Don't Look Sick last night. I took my recent blog post about "Pirates" 2 and modified it. Actually, the more I think about how many movies I've been watching, the more I realize I really might be able to accomplish weekly reviews. And the practice would be good for me in case I do get healthy enough to start freelancing for pay sometime in the future. So I will give it a shot, at least until the house sells and I have to start packing. All the writing experts say that if you want to be a writer for a living, you need to write every day, whether you feel inspired or not. And that's part of the reason for this blog, writing to exercise my brain.

And now that my brain has been properly stretched, I must go see about feeding it.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?