<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Alone again already..... 

Just got off the phone with Dan, who called to let me know he'd gotten back to Sioux Falls safely. This living 600 miles apart is a wretched thing. It would be easier to handle if I knew when we'd be seeing each other again.

Picked Dan up at the airport about 7:30 Saturday morning, which is earlier than I'm used to getting up. So when we got back home and Chip had had a chance to sufficiently dance around the house with joy, we celebrated his homecoming by taking a nap. Got up about 11am. Dan then mowed the seriously overgrown lawn, and since I had someone at home with the dog, I decided to go get a long overdue haircut. I brought my cell phone with me and told Dan to call me if the realtor requested a showing. Well, I no sooner got in the parking lot of the hair salon than the cell phone goes off! So I turned back around and came home. Dan helped me do a bit of tidying and drove Chip and me to the park during the time the showing was supposed to happen. We came home and sorted through the mail, and I was just about to start making something to eat when there's a ring at the doorbell. It a realtor and prospective buyers, over a half hour past when the showing was supposed to end! They had gotten lost. So I asked if we could have five minutes to grab the keys and the dog and leave again. Thus Dan got his crash course in home showings.

After the showing, Dan generously drove me across town to Tower Records. It's pretty much the only remaining music store with listen stations; Dan says he hasn't found any place in Sioux Falls that has them. So I got to preview several CDs; I wrote down the names so I can either buy or download them at some point. I liked Nelly Furtado, Fort Minor, The Raconteurs, Red Hot Chili Peppers "Stadium Arcadium", Gnarls Barkley and Paul Simon's latest. I did buy one: "How To Save a Life" by The Fray, a local band. I hurt so badly from standing too long that I could barely get back to the car, but it was worth it. We had Qdoba (California-style Mexican fast food) for supper.

On Sunday, we went to my dad's for a cookout. My sister and her husband had planned to be there, but a soldier from my brother-in-law's troop was killed in Iraq recently, and they needed to attend the funeral in Nebraska, so we didn't get to see them. But my stepbrother, his wife and their daughter were there with my dad and stepmother. We had grilled burgers (I ate mine without the bun, of course), baked beans (one of the few brands that are gluten free), homemade potato salad and a few things I couldn't eat. For dessert, I couldn't have the angel food cake or shortcake, but I did have some fresh strawberries with whipped cream, which was just about as good. After we ate, we played a marathon game of Rummi-kub while my niece wore herself out running and climbing all over the house (she's about a year and a half old). It was hilarious when she started dozing off while eating macaroni and cheese. We left shortly after that because we were running out of steam too. We came home and watched the first half of the season finale of "Desperate Housewives" since I had missed it the first time it aired. Then Dan went on the computer while I watched "Grey's Anatomy". Afterward, we went through a Sioux Falls phone book his parents had given us. It has a map of the city in it; Dan used it to show me where he worked, where the houses are that we're interested in, where the hospitals and shopping are, etc.

Yesterday, we went to lunch at P.F. Chang's. We got the lettuce wrap appetizer, and I had shrimp with lobster sauce for the main course. This is the only Asian restaurant I've been to that uses no MSG, serves brown rice, AND has a gluten free menu available. I will really miss it after I move. After we ate, Dan took me to a book store so I could look for a new book on celiac disease. They didn't have it, so I guess I will have to order it online. I also popped into the scrapbook store for yet another tape runner. Naturally, while I was there, I snagged a few other things, heh heh. I bought several designs of pink background paper to go with photos of my nieces. I also got two sheets of lettering, one of which uses the Papyrus font and looks hand-painted. When we got home, we called our neighbor friend and invited her over to our house to play Rummi-kub. I think I lost again, but unlike the night before, at least the scores were really close.

This morning, Dan went out and got me the second season DVD of "Lost". He also ran some errands for me, like buying several bottles of seltzer water because they're too heavy for me to purchase more than one at a time when I'm alone. After the cleaning ladies had come to the house and worked their magic, Dan and I had lunch at the Outback. After we got home, we watched the only episode of "Lost" we had missed during the regular season, the one about Bernard and Rose, and we watched the one about Hurley and his imaginary friend. Then it was time to head to the airport. Chip started sniffing Dan's suitcase and got very upset. Have you ever heard a dog yell at a person? That's what Chip was doing to Dan.

So now I'm by myself again. I guess this is Part 2 in the great house sale saga. I just hope it goes quicker than Part 1 did.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?