<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

More reflections on the tube..... 

Since I'm not doing much more than watching tv these days (ok, and scrapbooking), that's what I'll commment on. The past few days have had some interesting new shows and season openers of existing shows.

Last night was ABC all the way. Their two hour season opener of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" started the set. This year, they're vowing to hit all 50 states (how are they gonna drive that bus to Hawaii??), starting with Alaska. They found a single mom with eight kids, her seriously ill brother and his three kids all living in a 900 square foot house that was literally falling apart! Not good when it's 50 below zero outside. They had their work cut out for them. The new place naturally was huge and lovely. They even had a classroom complete with computers so Mom could do her home schooling there. I've been a sucker for this show ever since Dan told be about it during their first season.

Then there was the Season 3 opener of "Desperate Housewives". It is set six months later, which I didn't care for. They didn't comment on whether Bree got in any trouble for her escape from the funny farm, whatever happened to Zach, Susan's daughter, Karl or Bree's kids. Bree's engaged to a psycho AGAIN and Susan is falling for someone AGAIN, and AGAIN someone (Orson's first wife) was murdered. I hope next week's episode gives us something new. One part I really did enjoy, though, was when Bree had an orgasm and didn't know what it was. She goes to the doctor fearing she'd had a stroke, heh heh.

And since the tv was already on, I watched most of the premiere of "Brothers and Sisters" (except for during the middle when I made supper). It had so many stars on it that I couldn't help but be intrigued. Calista Flockhart is a conservative radio talk show host who is considering a move to tv. This would require her to move back to California, where her family is. Her boyfriend proposes with the provision that they stay in New York. Sally Field plays Flockhart's liberal mom who harbors a grudge because she believes her daughter "sent" one of her sons to fight in Afghanistan after 9/11. That son, unable to cope with his war experience, is high most of the time now. The father, played by Tom Skerritt, may be involved in shady business dealings and possibly an affair? The dialogue and acting were excellent, and I was totally unprepared for the father having a heart attack during the very first episode. He falls into the family swimming pool in front of his granddaughter. I'm going to tune in next week and watch it all the way through.

Tonight, I switched to NBC. I saw the premiere of "Heroes". I figured it couldn't be as bad as "Jericho". It started out a bit like "Six Degrees": lots of characters and jumping around from place to place, getting me confused and starting to lose interest. But I kept watching because the Japanese fellow who could stop time cracked me up. He was totally obsessed with Star Trek. The cheerleader who could survive any sort of physical trauma was kinda gross. First, she jumps off a water tower and dislocates her shoulder, which she just pops back into place. Then, she walks into a multi-alarm fire and rescues a guy. That was interesting, but I kept thinking that even if she's invincible, her cheerleading uniform wouldn't be. It only caught fire on the sleeve. Dan would have liked the part (he's into gore) where she sticks her hand into the garbage disposal. Anyway, it got much more interesting when the main characters start to converge on New York, which was cool, and you find out that the artist who is painting scenes from the future painted the guy who thinks he can fly even though they hadn't met yet. And it was a real surprise when the flying dude's brother could fly too. And one of the "bad guys" is the cheerleader's dad. I'm gonna tune in next week because this could be fun.

I also watched "Studio 60". I skipped the debut last week because I don't like Matthew Perry, but my neighbor friend said she really enjoyed it, so I gave it a shot tonight. It's basically behind the scenes of "Saturday Night Live", a fact they do not disguise at all. It's more serious than I was expecting. There are some chuckles and smirks in there, but nothing fall-on-the-floor funny. I recognized one of the characters as the dude who played Jorge Garcia's imaginary friend on "Lost". The dialogue is pretty good. I'd be willing to watch it again.

I don't have a tv guide, so I'm just picking shows from previews. I wanted to see "Ugly Betty" since I like America Fererra, but it airs at the same time as "My Name Is Earl", and I don't have the ability to tape one show and watch another at the same time, so I'm going with "Earl" as I already know I like it.

I wonder if Dan and I will watch any of the same shows once we're in the same house again?

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?