<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, September 23, 2006

This, that and whatever.... 

Yesterday did not have a good start. Was profoundly exhausted and ended up sleeping 12 hours. When I'm in bed that long, my muscles get extremely stiff and painful, to the point where I can hardly walk after I get up. I did my usual stretches, which decreased the stiffness some, but it didn't do a great deal to get my pain level down. Wasn't able to head out to the health food store until late afternoon. I wish it wasn't halfway across town. I was gone nearly two hours. Very little of that was spent in the store as all I bought was vitamins, gluten free waffles and a couple of frozen dinners. On the way home, I had to stop for a train. Luckily, I had reading material in the car.

Had a good dream yesterday morning though. In it, I was meeting friends I hadn't seen in a long time and providing counseling to teenagers. Now, in real life, I'm extremely awkward around kids, but it was nice in the dream to be able to say things that others found helpful. My interpretation of the dream is that I am hoping someday to find a useful way to occupy my life. I don't know if I'll ever be able to have a regular job again, but maybe I'll be able to do a bit of volunteer work or perhaps a little writing here and there for pay. I guess everyone wants to feel like they have a purpose. Right now I have no idea what my purpose is.

Today, I had to get up early to take Chip in to get groomed. My neighbor friend actually had to go with me because I can't handle Chip on a leash as he pulls terribly and causes me a great deal of pain. Went back home and slept for three more hours. Got up and while on the stairs, I heard a huge POP! and the tendon in my right heel (where I had the surgery) just sort of jumped in my foot! I got a sharp pain going up the left side of the heel. Normally, this wears off after about 20 minutes, but this one was major. I couldn't use my Gazelle machine because it hurt too much. It doesn't appear swollen or anything, but it gets worse when I'm on the stairs and gets better when I stay off it. I suppose if it's still bugging me on Monday I could have a doc take a peek at it.

Had another "occupational" dream last night. In this one, I was a consultant on a movie set. It was based upon a book, perhaps written by me, sort of an American version of Harry Potter. This was about a guy who could only stay young if he stayed in the same geographic area and built amusement parks for kids. I got to supervise the special effects and the set design. I think I dreamed this because I've been watching too much behind the scenes material on the "Lost" DVDs, heh heh. I secretly want to write cool stuff and would love to be involved in film making. Whatever the dream really means, it cheered me up that I'm dreaming positive stuff about my future.

Watched some tv this week while working on my 2005 photo album. Tuesday, I finally watched a full episode of "House". It's well-written, the acting is good, but it is a bit gruesome. I'm not sure I needed to see an unconscious man get chewed on by a rat. I haven't decided if I will watch it regularly. It is definitely interesting enough to tune in from time to time though.

Other stuff I watched: the season opener of "Boston Legal", which was definitely worthwhile. Michael J. Fox continues his recurring role of a wealthy man dying of cancer. He proposes to the young blonde lawyer who had defended him in a case (I think the actress' name is Julie Bowen), and she accepts. Now he's in legal trouble again for trying to buy a healthy lung from a man who is dying from something else. Denny Crane (Shatner) gets caught having sex with a doll that looks exactly like Shirley (Candace Bergen). And Alan Shore (James Spader) convinces his friend with Asperger's Syndrome to try sexual surrogate therapy. This is disastrous when "Hands" and the surrogate get arrested for prostitution. I like this show because it is clever and I never quite know where it is going.

Wednesday night, I watched the premier of a show called "Jericho". I mainly watched it to avoid "Dancing with the Stars", heh heh. "Jericho" is set in Kansas, which is a good thing because my home town gets blown up by a nuclear bomb in the first ten minutes of the show. Apparently, Atlanta gets wiped off the map too. Anyway, the show is about a small rural town's reaction to the bombings and the knowledge that they might be cut off from the rest of the U.S. or even the world. There is a great deal of hysteria when the local school's kids don't come home from their field trip on time. Turns out that when the bomb went off, all the deer in the area went crazy and fled. Some ran in front of the bus and caused it to crash. The mayor's adult son, who was in another accident when someone staring at the distant mushroom cloud ran onto the wrong side of the road and into his car, saves the day by helping hurt kids and driving the bus back into town. The plot is interesting, but so far, it doesn't seem as well written or acted as, say, "Lost". Maybe I'm spoiled. Haven't decided yet whether I'm going to invest any more time in this. At least the soundtrack was good, featuring The Killers and Snow Patrol.

Last night, the season openers of "My Name Is Earl" and "The Office" aired. On "Earl", his ex-wife steals a department store truck in retaliation for the store not accepting a return on a big screen TV. She talks Earl into helping her figure out to do with the truck and the guy she accidentally locked in there. Good start to the season. On "The Office", the big romance cliffhanger fizzles. Steve Carrell's character gets into hot water when he makes a joke about a subordinate being "faggy", not realizing the guy was really gay and inadvertently outing him. Pretty amusing.

"Grey's Anatomy" season opener was last night too. Izzie spends most of the episode lying on the bathroom floor in shock over her fiance's death. George and McDreamy are exposed to the plague and are quarantined. Bailey has to break the news to a quarantined patient that his wife has died. Alex and Addison treat a baby found in a high school trash can and have to figure out who the mother is in order to save the baby's life. The chief is confronted by his wife, who wants him to retire. Christina realizes how close she came to losing Burke when he was shot. Meredith realizes she's gonna have to choose between a married boss and a widowed vet. I'd pick Chris O'Donnell hands down over Dr. McGuilty, but we all know she'll go back to the wrong guy at least briefly. They did a great job carrying the momentum of the cliffhanger into the new season, and I imagine I'll be glued to the tv.

The premier of "Six Degrees" was ALSO last night. It's set in New York and is about whether or not the people we meet are by chance or by design. At first, the parade of random characters was confusing and not terribly interesting. Then about halfway through, they reveal that the depressed woman who's always watching the news is actually watching a tape of her husband's last report as a journalist before he died. Then, the connections happen very quickly, some for the better, some for the worse. I think I'll tune in next week and see if they can maintain my interest throughout the episode.

Tonight, I watched "Men In Trees" because there was nothing else on that I liked. The premier was last week, but I missed it. I was skeptical because the premise sounded like a re-run of "Northern Exposure": New Yorker ends up in Alaska, a fish out of water amongst quirky residents. The show has a pilot, a one person radio station, a bar. But this New Yorker is a woman (played by Anne Heche), a relationship expert who writes self-help books and is stood up at her own wedding. On tonight's show, she gets a check in the mail for half the expenses of the wedding that never happened. She can't bear to keep it, so she spends all of it at a bachelor auction. Instead of a date, she has her "purchase" re-arrange her furniture, do handyman stuff around the house, and fix her truck. The poor man gets accidentally run over for his pains. But nature has its revenge when she gets sprayed by a skunk. I found the show suprisingly funny and endearing. I'll probably tune in when I have nothing else going on.

Have tried my best to keep up on the yard work, but I've been hampered by weather and insects. Either it has rained or has been very cold when I was going to go out and pull weeds, or I've been chased out of the yard by wasps. Apparently, when I had them sprayed at my house, they just went next store, and then when my neighbor sprayed them, they came back to my yard. I no longer have any nests that I can see, but they swarm all around my tree and bushes. I'd put out traps if I weren't trying to sell the house. I'm afraid a potential buyer seeing visible evidence of a bug problem might discourage them from buying. So I'm hoping the wasps will die off soon as we'll probably get temperatures down to freezing in another week or two. I still have some dandilions to pull out of the grass and some gravel and patio areas that need to be re-sprayed with weed killer. I did at least replace a burned-out garage light and clean the outside windows on the lower level and hose down all the dead worms in the driveway (ewwww!).

Wish the damned house would sell so I could quit fussing over every little speck of dirt and blade of grass. Feels like my whole life is on hold. At least I've got the old boob tube to keep me company.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?