<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Doobie doobie do..... 

One topic I wanted to address a few days ago in my post about controversial ballot issues was one about making it legal for an adult over the age of 21 to possess an ounce or less of marijuana. Naturally, the "just say no" crowd is convinced that if it passes, it will lead to the downfall of our society. Trust me, there are many things that could actually do that, but pot isn't one of them.

I speak on this topic from experience. I have smoked marijuana. The total number of occasions could probably be counted on my fingers (I have the usual ten). Most of this "criminal" activity occurred in college. In every instance, I did not buy, sell or posses the marijuana. I merely took a puff of someone else's joint or shared someone else's bong, at their invitation. I never once desired to buy, sell or possess pot, and not just because it was illegal, but because while I enjoyed being high, it was never a particular priority. It did not make me crave more pot, or more of anything except junk food. It was not a gateway drug for me. It did not lead to me drinking more, smoking more of anything, or drugs that can kill like cocaine or heroin. It certainly never led to any other criminal activity. I did not drive while high. I could honestly take it or leave it. I was like the guy who will drink a beer socially with friends but doesn't drink any at home.

Why am I bothering to mention all this? Because I'm fairly certain there are thousands, if not millions, of other people exactly like me. I don't consider myself to be a criminal, even though what I did was technically illegal. And I don't believe an adult with an ounce or less of pot on his person is a criminal either, particularly if that person is consuming it for medical reasons cleared with a doctor. Believe me, most people with small amounts of marijuana are usually just having a joint in the privacy of their own home on a day off from work, rather like the person who has a brewski to unwind while watching a football game. Surely society has more important things to worry about than whether some dude is getting a marijuana buzz in his basement, eating Pringles and laughing with his buds? Why is it perfectly ok consume alcohol, a potent depressant, in public but not to smoke one joint at home? Seems damned hypocritical to me.

I'm no idiot; I'm fully aware that even if this ballot issue passes, federal law will still apply, so the average person will still end up in the slammer if caught with a joint on him. And it will still be illegal to grow, buy or sell pot. And any favorable decision by the voters will probably still be overturned as unconstitutional. But I will vote in favor of it anyway because I want to send a message that I do not find marijuana to be any more offensive or dangerous than alcohol or tobacco. Cops have better things to do with their time than to haul away an otherwise law abiding citizen for having a joint on them. And I'm sick to death of the arrests of people who have a legitimate need for medical marijuana. The "war on drugs" paranoia is more than ridiculous when it comes to pot.

So, if the ballot issue passes, will I be tempted to once again share a joint with a friend? Absolutely not. I am on prescription medications and wouldn't want to risk an interaction. I have pretty much given up alcohol for the same reason. But I'm not going to trample on the right of someone else to smoke 'em if they've got 'em.

"Light up, everybody
Join us in this celebration
Light up and be happy
Sweet sweet sounds will fill the air"
--Styx

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?