Saturday, December 02, 2006

Ack! The plague! Run away! 

Ok, maybe not the real plague, but that's what it feels like. Apparently, my four year track record of not getting so much as a cold bit the dust last weekend. I awoke Sunday morning with a scratchier than usual throat and more congestion than I'm accustomed to (I always have some anyway because of the Sjogren's).

Monday's business of standing in a freezing cold garage for five hours probably wasn't helpful, nor was the fact that I didn't have a real meal until 6pm because we needed to visit our insurance agent and go to the credit union to deposit my cashier's check from Denver before the close of business. By the time we got back to the in-laws' house, I had a sinus headache and the beginnings of a cough. And it went downhill from there.

Tuesday I didn't go anywhere except to take Chip on potty breaks, which was excruciating enough because the temperature was about 15 with 25mph winds. I tried to conduct some business over the phone. But when I tried to set up local telephone service, I was told that the current owners of the house we are buying hadn't arranged a disconnect date yet, so they couldn't get anything going for me yet.

I also got disappointing news from my wireless company. When I'd told them a few weeks ago that I was moving, they assured me that if I signed up for a national plan, which I did (two year committment), they'd give me a South Dakota phone number after I got there. But then I find out on Tuesday that they don't even SERVE South Dakota!

Wednesday morning, I woke up feeling like I was choking. My lymph nodes were quite swollen as was the inside of my throat, and it felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest. I went to the pharmacy, but all the congestion remedies contained guaifenisen, which I'm allergic to, so I ended up getting some Claritin-D, which helped a tiny bit.

Thursday was even worse. My voice was gone, and I knew I needed to get to a doctor before I developed bronchitis (I have a talent for going from zero to bronichitis in record time). I went to Dan's doc, who stated that I definitely had an infection and prescribed anti-biotics.

Our second attempt at closing on the Denver house was supposed to take place Thurday afternoon, but I got a call from the realtor telling me that it was on hold AGAIN! This time, the lender's office in Texas was shut down due to an ice storm, and all their computers were down. So it was re-scheduled for Tuesday, December 5th, which is Dan's birthday and our 10th wedding anniversary.

Yesterday, the congestion in my chest loosened, which meant that I was coughing even more, but at least it was accomplishing something. I also went through two boxes of Kleenex, ewwwww! Every fiber of my being had cranked the pain up to 11, so I didn't even have the energy to get dressed.

I got a call yesterday from my lawyers' office. Seems the long-term disability company finally responded to their requests for information, and in return, I am to fill out an employment history form. Basically, the insurance company wants to see all the places I've worked so they can pick one out and claim I can still do that job so they can stop paying me.

Today, I was hoping to finally get out of the in-laws' house and take a look around Sioux Falls on my own, but I can't seem to go more than five minutes without needing a Kleenex, so I have to take it easy for yet another day. I'm very weak, my ears are congested, and I'm fibro-fogged as hell, so it's probably best that I not drive anyway. This is not exactly how I envisioned starting my new life.

If I am better tomorrow, Dan and I will probably go to church. There are two United Churches of Christ in Sioux Falls, and I want to visit both of them over the next month or so to decide which one would be best for us. We'll start with the one that says in their Yellow Pages ad that they are diverse, progressive and inclusive.

Oh, and the closing on the Sioux Falls house is scheduled for 1pm on December 15. That only thing that might hold that up is if the sellers' house is not finished yet. So far, I've not heard anything of that nature, so I'm trying to stay optimistic.

Staying optimistic. That's the hardest part right now. Maybe in two weeks I'll feel differently.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?