<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Ack! Spoke too soon! 

Mere hours after my last post, I went through the snail mail and found an Explanation of Benefits from my new insurance company for my rheumatologist visit a few weeks ago. Contrary to what I had been led to believe, they are NOT going to cover the x-rays the doc ordered! They are going to ever-so-generously apply the fees to my deductible, which is a whopping five times the amount required by my previous insurance.

I read the supplemental rider to Dan's insurance plan that stated that x-rays and labs ordered with an office visit were subject only to the co-pay, so I thought the insurance guys had made a mistake. I called them today and was told that, no, the charge was correct because the x-rays were done somewhere other than the doc's office, so they were considered an outpatient procedure even though I'd only gone to another floor in the same building (which happens to be a hospital) to have them taken. How f**ked up is that??

I asked the insurance lady, "So you're telling me that unless a doctor puts an x-ray machine in his actual office that I'm subject to paying the entire amount myself?" She confirmed this. I told her that was the most ridiculous rule I'd ever heard and then said a quick thanks and hung up before I resorted to profanity.

This is outrageous. The amount they expect me to pay is more than my mortgage! It's more than triple the amount of that check I found this week.

I guess I should start praying right now that I never need a freakin' MRI.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?