<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, January 12, 2007

Awwww, how sweet! 

Thought I'd post something a little more positive just to show that not all is gloom and doom in my little frozen corner of the world....

Last night, Dan and I were watching the end of "My Name Is Earl" when the doorbell rang. After we exchanged puzzled glances and relegated Chip D. Dog to his kennel, Dan answered the door to find two strangers on the porch, one bearing a plate of cookies.

They introduced themselves as our neighbors across the street, although I'm not too clear on which street because our house faces a Y-shaped intersection. We ushered them inside. They were a young married couple, both having graduated from college within the past year or so and both of them from different parts of Iowa.

I never lived anyplace before where neighbors actually came by to welcome you. When I was in college in small-town Kansas, everyone knew everyone else within a few days, so no introductions were necessary. And in Denver, people weren't rude, but you generally struck up conversations with the neighbors when you were both out shoveling snow or doing yardwork or something.

And the cookies were a very sweet gesture, even though I can't eat them because of celiac disease. I am enjoying the fact that Dan is enjoying them. I only very rarely bake because I simply don't have the energy.

Anyway, the wife works for the local Fox tv station, which I find pretty interesting since I used to have mass media jobs. And while I can't remember what the husband does for a living, I was most amused to find out he was a Cubs fan as I'm a Rockies fan, another baseball team that never wins, heh heh. They've only been in their house since August.

They told us that many of the other neighbors bought their houses new, which means they moved in 30 years ago. That's fine with me because it's very quiet here. And it's not so bad to be neither the youngest or the oldest person in the neighborhood.

Then they had to go because "Grey's Anatomy" was coming on and we ladies couldn't miss the new episode, heh heh. The guys just laughed and said they'd be on their computers at home until the show was over. How funny.

I'm still unpacking, still resting between bouts of unpacking, still adjusting to the land of below-zero wind chill.

At least it's easier to adjust when the neighbors are nice.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?