<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, January 27, 2007

I need hair-apy! 

Ok, I am starting to get messages from friends concerned about my welfare, which must mean that I haven't updated this blog in awhile. I apologize for not posting regularly. The transitional "moving in" phase seems to be lasting forever.

At the moment, I am struggling to get my icy fingers into typing mode, even though I am bundled up in a thick all-fleece sweatshirt, extra long sweats and my brand new silver furry socks underneath my boot-style Dearfoams. Dan has generously offered to do the grocery shopping for me as the temperature outdoors is not expected to exceed 20 degrees and I'd probably not be able to track down an electric cart on a Saturday anyway. I'd say, that, overall, things are relatively ok, at least they are for me.

I did begin aquacise on Monday. I had an awful time finding the place as Sioux Falls doesn't seem to believe in putting addresses on their buildings. I also made the mistake of valet parking at the front of the hospital, not knowing that the pool is at the BACK of the building, a distance that far exceeds a city block.

So I arrived for my first class late, out of breath and almost too exhausted to participate. But the instructor was pretty nice about it and let me climb in the warm water and do some stretches. They have two pools for the classes, one designed for regular exercise and the other much warmer for therapy; I chose the hotter one.

I discovered right away that I was younger than anyone else in the class by at least 20 years. And they noticed too, because they thought I was the new instructor! They were quite shocked that someone my age had already been sick for 10 years with as many ailments as I have.

But everyone was quite pleasant, and I vowed to park closer next time so I could get there on time and fully participate. But on Wednesday, I got confused as to where the pool was on the other side of the building and inadvertantly parked across the street from where I needed to be and had to be walked to the pool by an employee because I got hopelessly lost. Yesterday, I finally found the right lot, which is still a long distance from the pool, but it is a much more doable hike than on the previous two days, so I think I'll be able to manage most days.

Sometime this week, Dan decided he wanted to get a haircut. I'd been meaning to fix my most recent disastrous 'do and went with him. We went to one of those, um, discount hair places, which was a mistake.

In the two and a half years I've had short hair, I've only managed to get one haircut that was flattering on me, and it was my massage therapist that cut it, not a salon. But I'm new to Sioux Falls and trying to be on a budget, so I told myself I could not afford to be picky. I am re-thinking that in light of my latest butchering.

I went in there with a photo of what I wanted: basically, very short, spiky and lots of layers. Short enough that I could go totally punk if I had a mind to. Short enough to be extremely low-maintenance the rest of the time.

I should have known I was in trouble when the woman cut about an inch off and pronounced the job done. I had to tell her repeatedly to go shorter, much shorter. After a very long time watching her cut tiny bits off and then stopping to see if I was satisfied yet, I got impatient and decided it would just have to do because she was starting to look panicked, like I was gonna sue her if she snipped one more lock.

The result was fairly disastrous. The sides are quite short and spiky like I'd asked for, but none of the rest matches. The back is too long and cut square and not in layers, and the bangs are longer than anything else, lying flat in contrast to the spiky sides and making me look rather confused and dorky; basically, a bowl haircut with wings.

So I'm gonna wait a few weeks for the sides to grow a bit and then cough up the dough to go someplace a little nicer. There has to be someone in Sioux Falls that can give me a flattering haircut. At least someone who will cut it the way I ask instead of timidly snipping a quarter-inch, one hair at a time.

In other news, my father-in-law had a knee replacement on Tuesday. During the pre-surgery physical and stress testing, it was determined that he'd had a heart attack at some point that no one, including him, knew about. My theory is that it could have happened in his sleep as he has what is probably severe sleep apnea.

And in a truly bizarre incident, one of Dan's junior high school teachers was murdered yesterday morning by her husband, who was brandishing a sword, of all things. The man also injured an exchange student who was living with them and a police officer, whose life was probably saved by his bullet proof vest. The cops had to shoot and kill the man.

All in all, if my biggest personal complaint at the moment is a bad haircut, I'd say life ain't bad.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?