<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Tunnel vision? 


I wanted to post something on this a few days ago, but I've had a migraine brewing and was waiting for it to go away. Unfortunately, it has only grown worse, so I'm just gonna go ahead before I lose the ability to form a sentence. But due to the headache, please excuse any incoherence contained herein.

After the shootings at Virginia Tech on April 16, I was in need of some spiritual comfort. When I lived in Denver, my church addressed this need very well. So I headed to a church in Sioux Falls this past Sunday that was the same denomination, figuring there would be some discussion of the incident and some prayers for peace and healing.

The entire service, however, was dedicated to Earth Day. There were skits and songs and a sermon about redirecting our focus to better respect nature. All important in their own way, of course, but I was completely shocked that they never once mentioned those in need in Virginia or indeed offered prayers for anyone outside the church.

I understand that they perhaps didn't want to glamorize the shooter any more than necessary, but what about the people who died and all who knew them? Aren't they particularly in need of prayers at this time as well as those who were injured or traumatized by this? Did they really think that ignoring what happened was the best course of action?

This is so at odds with what I am accustomed to and need. My church in Denver mentioned world events both positive and negative at every service, asked for the joys and concerns of the congregation and beyond, and prayed for peace and healing for those known and not known each and every time. Is that not normal?

I am so confused. Sioux Falls has churches on practically every corner, but I did not hear of any special services or support/discussion at a single local church regarding the events of April 16. But the national news mentioned that there were several in Denver.

I realize that Sioux Falls has never had a major tragic event that put them in the national spotlight, like the Columbine shootings. But I was participating in interfaith peace prayers in Denver long before April 1999. My church pastors would lead courses about world religions and understanding cultural differences, open to anyone who wanted to learn.

It wasn't just the churches of Sioux Falls that seemed oblivious. The local newspaper had a few stories about Virignia Tech, but not much detail; they dedicated a lot more discussion to more pressing issues such as whether a new local swimming pool was gonna be indoors or outdoors. Same with the newspaper message forums and even the ladies in my aquacise class.

Do the people of Sioux Falls not care what happens in other parts of the country or the world? Do they think nothing bad can ever occur here, that their faith will make them immune from tragedy? Or do they believe if they don't talk about evil, it will go away?

From what I have seen of Sioux Falls in the past five months, especially from reading the newspaper every day and watching local newscasts, it would seems as though the majority of residents have blinders on. They deny there is any homelessness here even though I have seen street people; they deny there is bigotry even though I have seen the evidence of homophobia and ignorance of other cultures; they deny there is any religious zealotry even though I read letters to the editor telling anyone who is an atheist/liberal/free thinker to move somewhere else if they can't accept what Jesus wants. I have never lived nor visited anyplace that was perfect, but if you interviewed the typical Sioux Falls resident, you might draw the conclusion that this place is as close as it gets.

Anyway, even though the church I attended did not pray for the families and friends of those who suffered in the Virginia Tech tragedy, I made a point of doing so. And I ask those of you reading this to send along your prayers/positive vibes/whatever suits your particular faith or lifestyle. I will conclude with a list of the names of those who died so that they might particularly be remembered:
Ross Alameddine
Christopher Bishop
Brian Bluhm
Ryan Clark
Austin Cloyd
Jocelyne Couture-Nowak
Daniel Cueva
Kevin Granata
Matthew Gwaltney
Caitlin Hammaren
Jeremy Herbstritt
Rachael Hill
Emily Hilscher
Jarrett Lane
Matthew La Porte
Henry Lee
Liviu Librescu
G.V. Loganathan
Partahi Lumbantoruan
Lauren McCain
Daniel O'Neil
Juan Ortiz
Minal Panchal
Erin Peterson
Michael Pohle Jr.
Julia Pryde
Mary Read
Reema Samaha
Waleed Shaalan
Leslie Sherman
Maxine Turner
Nicole White

Peace be with you.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?