<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Two, two, two complaints in one.... 


First, I just wanna whine for a bit about the cold. As in -25 wind chill and maybe even colder tomorrow. Tolerating this is a pain in the butt when you have Raynaud's (and probably even when you don't).

As I type this, I am wearing long john tops and bottoms under my pajamas, leg warmers, extra thick chenille socks, high top house shoes, and fingerless gloves that go up to the elbow. And I have my heated seat cushion going. And I'm STILL cold.

On a totally different subject, Dan had a job interview today in a field with a really good future, which went very well. Awesome, right? It was until he found out that the job in question pays $3 an hour less than what he's currently making.

If I were still able to work, I'd tell him to go for it. If I were still getting long-term disability insurance benefits (I was recently cut off), I'd tell him we'd tighten our belts a bit until he'd gotten a raise or two. But with me on SSDI, we can't afford to have Dan making a penny less because we're having trouble paying bills right now as it is.

Soooo not fair. Dan is only earning two-thirds in Sioux Falls what he was making in Denver for the very same work. The pay here is atrocious.

Tax season is coming up, and I can't help but think how rotten it is that in order to deduct medical expenses, they must exceed 7.5 percent of your income. WHY? We should be able to deduct ALL medical expenses, if for no other reason than to allow us to use our refund to pay future medical expenses.

I hate that Dan must miss out on good job opportunties because he has to make enough to support us both. And he can't take anything that doesn't offer good medical insurance. Chronic illness messes up the lives of more than just the people who are actually sick.

How do I console my husband? Tell him, "that's ok, maybe we'll win the lottery"?

My fingernails are purple from the cold. Sigh.

Comments:
My fingers are the same. Is purple the new black? (And it's not even that cold here - stupid Raynauds.)

I'm so sorry about the job outlook. I can't remember how you ended up in SD. Could you go back to Denver? Just curious.

I have no good answers. My husband has good benefits through his job, but must be out of town for several days each week and we are considering moving. Each time a friend suggests that he change jobs, I cringe. He loves what he does and frankly, we need those benefits and security. Plain & simple. It's hard to be the sick wife. It's hard being the hubby too.

I hope you have a peaceful weekend. I'm thinking about you.
 
Sorry your fingers are purple too. Really puts a crimp in typing when the fingers are too stiff to bend well.

We left Denver because Dan got laid off, and the first job offer he got was in Sioux Falls (and his family lives here). I'd love more than anything to go back to Denver, but housing is outrageously expensive there, like twice what it is here.

I feel bad for Dan because he is so young, and there just aren't that many men in his situation at his age. I had no idea how much it was gonna mess up his life when I got sick.

But it is what it is, and I guess we just do the best we can with whatever we have to work with, right?
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?